    Can anyone help please???

    Thank you....

    John

    Mtek, Apr 26, 2008

  2. Mtek

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Mtek <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a table that has a background image. I want part of that
    > background image to be clickable. But, I cannot figure out how to use
    > the 'USEMAP' with the background image.....
    >
    > Can anyone help please???
    >
    > Thank you....
    >
    > John

    You cannot normally make a background image or any part of it clickable
    in html/css. You can simulate it by having something in the html that is
    not a bg image that is clickable. A link that is carefully positioned,
    an image that is carefully positioned and like that.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 26, 2008

  3. Mtek

    Mtek Guest

    On Apr 25, 11:00 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >  Mtek <> wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I have a table that has a background image.  I want part of that
    > > background image to be clickable.  But, I cannot figure out how to use
    > > the 'USEMAP' with the background image.....

    > > Can anyone help please???

    > > Thank you....

    > > John

    > You cannot normally make a background image or any part of it clickable
    > in html/css. You can simulate it by having something in the html that is
    > not a bg image that is clickable. A link that is carefully positioned,
    > an image that is carefully positioned and like that.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Well, is there any way to say have the background image transparent,
    and then lay the image 'on top of' the transparent background image?
    How would I do that? I'm lost there, but just an idea.

    Mtek, Apr 26, 2008
  4. Mtek

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Mtek <> wrote:

    > On Apr 25, 11:00 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > >
    > >  Mtek <> wrote:
    > > > Hi,

    > > > I have a table that has a background image.  I want part of that
    > > > background image to be clickable.  But, I cannot figure out how to use
    > > > the 'USEMAP' with the background image.....

    > > > Can anyone help please???

    > > > Thank you....

    > > > John

    > > You cannot normally make a background image or any part of it clickable
    > > in html/css. You can simulate it by having something in the html that is
    > > not a bg image that is clickable. A link that is carefully positioned,
    > > an image that is carefully positioned and like that.
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > Well, is there any way to say have the background image transparent,
    > and then lay the image 'on top of' the transparent background image?
    > How would I do that? I'm lost there, but just an idea.

    What is the point of the background image being transparent if the image
    on top is needing to be the one seen?

    OK, let me make a web page for you that seems to fit part of your main
    description. Hold on... How about this:

    <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click.html>

    Try left top.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 26, 2008
  5. Mtek

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9A8C45CF447Aneredbojiasnano@85.214.90.236>,
    Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/fliam.php> wrote:

    > On 25 Apr 2008, dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Well, is there any way to say have the background image transparent,
    > >> and then lay the image 'on top of' the transparent background image?
    > >> How would I do that? I'm lost there, but just an idea.

    > > What is the point of the background image being transparent if the
    > > image on top is needing to be the one seen?
    > >
    > > OK, let me make a web page for you that seems to fit part of your main
    > > description. Hold on... How about this:
    > >
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click.html>
    > >
    > > Try left top.

    > Tsk! Tsk!

    Yeah ok! Well spotted. Try it now. Like the one about Big John?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 26, 2008
  6. Mtek

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9A8CA6482060neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>,
    Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/fliam.php> wrote:

    > >> Tsk! Tsk!

    > > Yeah ok! Well spotted. Try it now.

    > A-OK. However, I'm surprised the validator validates it as "strict"
    > without the specific declaration. Wouldn't the doctype you've got put
    > things into quirks mode? (-Not that it matters in this case.)

    You mean <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

    instead of

    ?

    Ask Harlan, he knows about these things.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 26, 2008
  7. Mtek

    Paul Guest

    "dorayme" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > In article
    > OK, let me make a web page for you that seems to fit part of your main
    > description. Hold on... How about this:
    >
    > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click.html>

    I have liked it!!
    Big John....:)))
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 26, 2008
  8. Mtek

    John Hosking Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <Xns9A8CA6482060neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>,
    > Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/fliam.php> wrote:
    >

    >> A-OK. However, I'm surprised the validator validates it as "strict"
    >> without the specific declaration. Wouldn't the doctype you've got put
    >> things into quirks mode? (-Not that it matters in this case.)

    > You mean <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >
    > instead of

    > ?
    >
    > Ask Harlan, he knows about these things.

    IANAH, but I do rely for doctype info on one page which, again, appears
    to hold the answer.

    The page at http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/ provides a table near the
    bottom where we can match doctype declarations with quirkmodedness of
    various browsers. Notice that the short form above without DTD (but
    presumably with closing bracket) invokes Strict mode in as many browsers
    as the second declaration above (the same one we're always telling
    people to use). It's quirkier on Mac IE5, though.

    I cannot speak to the actual veracity of the table nor to the currency
    of the page, but it /seems/ pretty authoritative. ;-)

    --
    John
    Read about the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

    John Hosking, Apr 26, 2008
  9. Mtek

    Mtek Guest

    On Apr 26, 6:48 am, John Hosking <>
    wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <Xns9A8CA6482060neredbojiasn...@194.177.96.78>,
    > >  Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/fliam.php> wrote:

    > >> A-OK.  However, I'm surprised the validator validates it as "strict"
    > >> without the specific declaration.  Wouldn't the doctype you've got put
    > >> things into quirks mode?  (-Not that it matters in this case.)

    > > You mean <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

    > > instead of

    > > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    > > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

    > > ?

    > > Ask Harlan, he knows about these things.

    > IANAH, but I do rely for doctype info on one page which, again, appears
    > to hold the answer.
    >
    > The page athttp://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/ provides a table near the
    > bottom where we can match doctype declarations with quirkmodedness of
    > various browsers. Notice that the short form above without DTD (but
    > presumably with closing bracket) invokes Strict mode in as many browsers
    > as the second declaration above (the same one we're always telling
    > people to use). It's quirkier on Mac IE5, though.
    >
    > I cannot speak to the actual veracity of the table nor to the currency
    > of the page, but it /seems/ pretty authoritative. ;-)
    >
    > --
    > John
    > Read about the UIP:http://improve-usenet.org/- Hide quoted text -

    Well everyone, I really appreciate everyone's input. dorayme's
    suggestion seems easiest in terms of coding. I have a background
    image with a button on the background which I want to use for the
    click action. I really cannot crop it as it is an image background,
    not a solid color or anything. So, I'll try some suggestions.......

    Thanks!

    John

    Mtek, Apr 26, 2008
  10. Mtek

    Mtek Guest

    On Apr 26, 1:22 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    >  Mtek <> wrote:
    > > On Apr 25, 11:00 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <>,

    > > > You cannot normally make a background image or any part of it clickable
    > > > in html/css. You can simulate it by having something in the html that is
    > > > not a bg image that is clickable. A link that is carefully positioned,
    > > > an image that is carefully positioned and like that.

    > > > --
    > > > dorayme

    > > Well, is there any way to say have the background image transparent,
    > > and then lay the image 'on top of' the transparent background image?
    > > How would I do that?  I'm lost there, but just an idea.

    > What is the point of the background image being transparent if the image
    > on top is needing to be the one seen?
    >
    > OK, let me make a web page for you that seems to fit part of your main
    > description. Hold on... How about this:
    >
    > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click.html>
    >
    > Try left top.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme- Hide quoted text -

    I tried your suggestion dorayme. The problem is, your image is the
    same color of the background so it does not show. What if the area I
    need clickable is PART of the background. It is a button image in the
    background and cannot be cropped since it is an image
    background........

    John

    Mtek, Apr 26, 2008
  11. Mtek

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Mtek <> wrote:

    > On Apr 26, 1:22 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > >
    > > OK, let me make a web page for you that seems to fit part of your main
    > > description. Hold on... How about this:
    > >
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click.html>
    > >
    > > Try left top.
    > >

    > I tried your suggestion dorayme. The problem is, your image is the
    > same color of the background so it does not show. What if the area I
    > need clickable is PART of the background. It is a button image in the
    > background and cannot be cropped since it is an image
    > background........

    Try:

    <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click2.html>

    and mouse over the second pic, top left.

    *---------------------------
    I am demonstrating some possibility here. I say to all the straight men,
    all the bread and butter types, all my enemies and the 3 human html/css
    experts left who still read more than 10% of what I write, no claim is
    being implied about the ease or adaptability of this to other cases, no
    claim whatsoever, it is just a demo and to be taken with a cup of tea
    and a smoke if you smoke or maybe just 2mg of Valium if you don't.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 27, 2008
  12. Mtek

    dorayme Guest

    In article <48131750$>,
    John Hosking <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <Xns9A8CA6482060neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>,
    > > Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/fliam.php> wrote:
    > >

    > >> A-OK. However, I'm surprised the validator validates it as "strict"
    > >> without the specific declaration. Wouldn't the doctype you've got put
    > >> things into quirks mode? (-Not that it matters in this case.)

    > > You mean <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">
    > >
    > > instead of
    > >
    > > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    > > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    > >
    > > ?
    > >
    > > Ask Harlan, he knows about these things.

    > IANAH, but I do rely for doctype info on one page which, again, appears
    > to hold the answer.
    >
    > The page at http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/ provides a table near the
    > bottom where we can match doctype declarations with quirkmodedness of
    > various browsers. Notice that the short form above without DTD invokes Strict mode in as many browsers
    > as the second declaration above (the same one we're always telling
    > people to use). It's quirkier on Mac IE5, though.
    >
    > I cannot speak to the actual veracity of the table nor to the currency
    > of the page, but it /seems/ pretty authoritative. ;-)

    That's a nice page, John, thanks for it. I am now pleased I made a cut
    and paste 'error' and had the dtdless one (since changed). I have yet to
    see the effect on MacIE - presumably because I have not looked.
    Interesting curiosity.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 27, 2008