Image Question

Mtek

Hi,

I have a table that has a background image. I want part of that
background image to be clickable. But, I cannot figure out how to use
the 'USEMAP' with the background image.....

Can anyone help please???

Thank you....

John

dorayme

Mtek said:
Hi,

I have a table that has a background image. I want part of that
background image to be clickable. But, I cannot figure out how to use
the 'USEMAP' with the background image.....

Can anyone help please???

Thank you....

John

You cannot normally make a background image or any part of it clickable
in html/css. You can simulate it by having something in the html that is
not a bg image that is clickable. A link that is carefully positioned,
an image that is carefully positioned and like that.

Mtek

You cannot normally make a background image or any part of it clickable
in html/css. You can simulate it by having something in the html that is
not a bg image that is clickable. A link that is carefully positioned,
an image that is carefully positioned and like that.

Well, is there any way to say have the background image transparent,
and then lay the image 'on top of' the transparent background image?
How would I do that? I'm lost there, but just an idea.

dorayme

Mtek said:
Well, is there any way to say have the background image transparent,
and then lay the image 'on top of' the transparent background image?
How would I do that? I'm lost there, but just an idea.

What is the point of the background image being transparent if the image
on top is needing to be the one seen?

OK, let me make a web page for you that seems to fit part of your main
description. Hold on... How about this:

<http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click.html>

Try left top.

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
A-OK. However, I'm surprised the validator validates it as "strict"
without the specific declaration. Wouldn't the doctype you've got put
things into quirks mode? (-Not that it matters in this case.)

You mean <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

instead of

?

Ask Harlan, he knows about these things.

John Hosking

dorayme said:
You mean <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

instead of

?

Ask Harlan, he knows about these things.

IANAH, but I do rely for doctype info on one page which, again, appears
to hold the answer.

The page at http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/ provides a table near the
bottom where we can match doctype declarations with quirkmodedness of
various browsers. Notice that the short form above without DTD (but
presumably with closing bracket) invokes Strict mode in as many browsers
as the second declaration above (the same one we're always telling
people to use). It's quirkier on Mac IE5, though.

I cannot speak to the actual veracity of the table nor to the currency
of the page, but it /seems/ pretty authoritative. ;-)

Mtek

--
John
Read about the UIP:http://improve-usenet.org/- Hide quoted text -

Well everyone, I really appreciate everyone's input. dorayme's
suggestion seems easiest in terms of coding. I have a background
image with a button on the background which I want to use for the
click action. I really cannot crop it as it is an image background,
not a solid color or anything. So, I'll try some suggestions.......

Thanks!

John

Mtek

What is the point of the background image being transparent if the image
on top is needing to be the one seen?

OK, let me make a web page for you that seems to fit part of your main
description. Hold on... How about this:

<http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click.html>

Try left top.

I tried your suggestion dorayme. The problem is, your image is the
same color of the background so it does not show. What if the area I
need clickable is PART of the background. It is a button image in the
background and cannot be cropped since it is an image
background........

John

dorayme

I tried your suggestion dorayme. The problem is, your image is the
same color of the background so it does not show. What if the area I
need clickable is PART of the background. It is a button image in the
background and cannot be cropped since it is an image
background........

Try:

<http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click2.html>

and mouse over the second pic, top left.

*---------------------------
I am demonstrating some possibility here. I say to all the straight men,
all the bread and butter types, all my enemies and the 3 human html/css
experts left who still read more than 10% of what I write, no claim is
being implied about the ease or adaptability of this to other cases, no
claim whatsoever, it is just a demo and to be taken with a cup of tea
and a smoke if you smoke or maybe just 2mg of Valium if you don't.

dorayme

John Hosking said:
IANAH, but I do rely for doctype info on one page which, again, appears
to hold the answer.

The page at http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/ provides a table near the
bottom where we can match doctype declarations with quirkmodedness of
various browsers. Notice that the short form above without DTD invokes Strict mode in as many browsers
as the second declaration above (the same one we're always telling
people to use). It's quirkier on Mac IE5, though.

I cannot speak to the actual veracity of the table nor to the currency
of the page, but it /seems/ pretty authoritative. ;-)

That's a nice page, John, thanks for it. I am now pleased I made a cut
and paste 'error' and had the dtdless one (since changed). I have yet to
see the effect on MacIE - presumably because I have not looked.
Interesting curiosity.