Image re-sizing with Javascript?

BWIN

I am the owner of a very large scale member-base website and the
members are having trouble re-sizing there pics to create headshots.
The headshots are supposed to be 175 x 175 pixels exactly. We get alot
of people trying to re-size their own images and unfortunatley they
don't have photo skills and the images never get uploaded because they
are usually off a few pixels when trying to upload the headshot. So the
headshot's usually don't get uploaded.

So here is my Question: Is there any kind of software or javascript
coding that I can implement into my website that will allow a member
that has, lets say an image that is 240 x 190, to drop that photo in to
almost like a pre-made box that is 175 x 175 and then they can drag,
move, re-size their pic all they want in the box and then save it??

If anyone has any suggestions or help for this that would be greatly
appreciated. I am desperate. Thanks!

BWIN

RobG

BWIN said:
I am the owner of a very large scale member-base website and the
members are having trouble re-sizing there pics to create headshots.
The headshots are supposed to be 175 x 175 pixels exactly. We get alot
of people trying to re-size their own images and unfortunatley they
don't have photo skills and the images never get uploaded because they
are usually off a few pixels when trying to upload the headshot. So the
headshot's usually don't get uploaded.

So here is my Question: Is there any kind of software or javascript
coding that I can implement into my website that will allow a member
that has, lets say an image that is 240 x 190, to drop that photo in to
almost like a pre-made box that is 175 x 175 and then they can drag,
move, re-size their pic all they want in the box and then save it??

No.

The longer answer is that JavaScript has no capability to do image
processing, no matter how simple. JavaScript can 'resize' the image by
asking the browser to display it inside an element, then set the
element's width and height attributes (or the width and height
attributes of the element's style object) to some values, but that is
purely for visual presentation, it doesn't modify the source image.

Depending on the browser and how the image is referenced in the page
source, it may get re-sized by the browser itself (though for images
around 200x200px that would be rare).

Even crappy old 'Paint' allows cropping to a specific size - if your
users can't learn to use that, what hope is there?

Evertjan.

Dr Clue wrote on 14 okt 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
Well, javascript can be used to scale the display of an image
so that it will fit in your 175x175 box, but it has no ability to
actually change the image.

Since JS can do bitwize manipulation, it surely could, given that you know
all about the intricacies of the format [.jpg, .gif. etc.] in Q,
and if you stand in awe of JS timeout.

juglesh

BWIN said:
I am the owner of a very large scale member-base website and the
members are having trouble re-sizing there pics to create headshots.
The headshots are supposed to be 175 x 175 pixels exactly. We get alot
of people trying to re-size their own images and unfortunatley they
don't have photo skills and the images never get uploaded because they
are usually off a few pixels when trying to upload the headshot. So the
headshot's usually don't get uploaded.

So here is my Question: Is there any kind of software or javascript
coding that I can implement into my website that will allow a member
that has, lets say an image that is 240 x 190, to drop that photo in to
almost like a pre-made box that is 175 x 175 and then they can drag,
move, re-size their pic all they want in the box and then save it??

http://xinha.python-hosting.com/wiki/ImageManager
'The ImageManager plugin provides a means for users to upload,
manipulate (resize, rotate, crop etc), delete and organise (into
directories) images, and then insert them into the HTML being edited. '

might help...