Image smoothening Filter

remyam

I'm using the following filter
http://www.jhlabs.com/ip/filters/LensBlurFilter.html to remove jaggies
from a BufferedImage.

My problem is twofold:

1. Though the filter works, it doesn't quite do the job (of removing
jaggies) from a massively zoomed-in image. (Can let you know the zoom
factor, if relevant.) Do I need to use a bigger Kernel window (say,
7x7, 9x9...) for a zoomed in image?

2. It's taking as much as 3 seconds per filter operation on my machine
(AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+), 1GB RAM. Because I need to zoom in and
smoothen the image on each mouse drag event, and because a 3-second
delay is generally considered unacceptable for a mouse drag event
handler, I'm looking for some ideas/insights from you guys.

3.I'm new to Image Processing and Java 2D, is there any more efficient
and effective filter I could use?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.