Image/Video Processing in Python

dongie.agnir

Hello, I'm trying to work on a project in Python that involves the use
of a webcam to track a laser pointer. I found some example code here
http://janto.blogspot.com/2006/01/motion-capture-in-python.html, but
the problem is that it's quite slow (about a sec to process a 800 by
600 image). Can anyone who has experience with computer vision help
me? Are there any existing algorithms for finding a color in an image
and plotting its coordinates? It would help me very much.

the profile.py output from the example can be found here if anyone's
interested
http://heightened.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/output.txt

Tim Roberts

Hello, I'm trying to work on a project in Python that involves the use
of a webcam to track a laser pointer. I found some example code here
http://janto.blogspot.com/2006/01/motion-capture-in-python.html, but
the problem is that it's quite slow (about a sec to process a 800 by
600 image). Can anyone who has experience with computer vision help
me? Are there any existing algorithms for finding a color in an image
and plotting its coordinates? It would help me very much.

You're talking about raw number crunching. This is exactly the kind of
case where you should write some C or C++ code and call it from Python.