Images as links, purple border

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Glenn Coyle, Sep 26, 2006.

  1. Glenn Coyle

    Glenn Coyle Guest

    Hi there

    i am using images as links and there is a border around the pics to
    signify that they are linked. I would like to remove these but i for
    some reason it sticks around

    i have used the following CSS

    ..mainWindowText a:link { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
    color:#000066; font-weight:bold;}
    ..mainWindowText a:visited { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
    font-weight:bold; color:#000066}
    ..mainWindowText a:active { font-size:13px; font-weight:bold;
    text-decoration:none; color:#000066}
    ..mainWindowText a:hover{ font-size:13px; font-weight:bold;
    text-decoration:underline; color:#009900}

    can anyone shed any light?

    thanks
    Glenn

    Glenn Coyle, Sep 26, 2006

  2. Glenn Coyle wrote:

    > .mainWindowText a:link { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
    > color:#000066; font-weight:bold;}

    > can anyone shed any light?

    It is a BORDER around an IMAGE, not an underline under some link text.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 26, 2006

  3. Glenn Coyle wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > i am using images as links and there is a border around the pics to
    > signify that they are linked. I would like to remove these but i for
    > some reason it sticks around
    >
    > i have used the following CSS
    >
    > .mainWindowText a:link { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
    > color:#000066; font-weight:bold;}
    > .mainWindowText a:visited { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
    > font-weight:bold; color:#000066}
    > .mainWindowText a:active { font-size:13px; font-weight:bold;
    > text-decoration:none; color:#000066}
    > .mainWindowText a:hover{ font-size:13px; font-weight:bold;
    > text-decoration:underline; color:#009900}

    A border on the image, add to CSS

    ..mainWindowText A IMG { border: 0; }

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 26, 2006
  4. Glenn Coyle

    Glenn Coyle Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > Glenn Coyle wrote:
    >

    >>.mainWindowText a:link { font-size:13px; text-decoration:none;
    >>color:#000066; font-weight:bold;}

    >>can anyone shed any light?

    > It is a BORDER around an IMAGE, not an underline under some link text.

    thanks that has sorted it out.

    Glenn Coyle, Sep 26, 2006
  5. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > A border on the image, add to CSS
    >
    > .mainWindowText A IMG { border: 0; }

    And expect users to fail to see that the images are links and, even if they
    guess they are links, whether they are visited or unvisited.

    Solution solved into a problem.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 27, 2006
  6. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> A border on the image, add to CSS
    >>
    >> .mainWindowText A IMG { border: 0; }

    > And expect users to fail to see that the images are links and, even if
    > they guess they are links, whether they are visited or unvisited.
    >
    > Solution solved into a problem.

    True, but it depends on the application. A graphic logo on a page is so
    often also a link to the site's 'home' that no instruction is need nor a
    border is wanted. Thumbnails is another 'web convention' now, and rarely
    are borders use to indicate links. But technically, yes you should not
    obscure links.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan