    the size it's supposed to? I used the width and height
    commands and put in the exact size it was supposed to
    be, but it still printed too small.

    menu boy, Jul 23, 2004

  2. menu boy

    Dylan Parry Guest

    menu boy wrote:

    > Why is it when I put a bmp image on my site,

    First of all, don't use bitmap images on your pages. See:
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/html_image_format

    > it prints out smaller than the actual size?

    How do you mean? If you mean, "how come when I print a bitmap image it
    looks smaller on paper than it does on screen?" Then the answer is because
    your screen resolution is something like 72dpi but your printer is using
    300dpi, so the image will look around 4 times smaller on paper than on
    screen.

    If that isn't the question, then I don't understand what you mean.

    > How do I fix it so it prints the size it's supposed to? I used the
    > width and height commands and put in the exact size it was supposed to
    > be, but it still printed too small.

    You cannot force anything upon the visitor, but if it is the above
    question that you were asking, then you need to have the image a hell of a
    lot bigger than it was originally to print out at a decent size at 300dpi.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Playing: 'Echoes' by Pink Floyd

    Dylan Parry, Jul 23, 2004

  3. menu boy

    menu boy Guest

    "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    > menu boy wrote:
    >
    > > Why is it when I put a bmp image on my site,

    > First of all, don't use bitmap images on your pages. See:
    > http://webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/html_image_format

    I'm using a bmp for my own uses, not for people browsing.

    > How do you mean? If you mean, "how come when I print a bitmap image it
    > looks smaller on paper than it does on screen?" Then the answer is because
    > your screen resolution is something like 72dpi but your printer is using
    > 300dpi, so the image will look around 4 times smaller on paper than on
    > screen.
    >
    > If that isn't the question, then I don't understand what you mean.

    No. I made the image in Photoshop 7 and its dimensions are 4.5" x 3.5".
    When I upload it, put it on a webpage and print it, it prints about an
    inch smaller on the paper at *any* resolution I have my printer set.
    When I print it from Photoshop, it prints normally.

    menu boy, Jul 23, 2004
  4. menu boy

    SpaceGirl Guest

    menu boy wrote:

    > "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>menu boy wrote:
    >>

    >>>Why is it when I put a bmp image on my site,

    >>First of all, don't use bitmap images on your pages. See:
    >>http://webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/html_image_format

    > I'm using a bmp for my own uses, not for people browsing.
    >

    >>How do you mean? If you mean, "how come when I print a bitmap image it
    >>looks smaller on paper than it does on screen?" Then the answer is because
    >>your screen resolution is something like 72dpi but your printer is using
    >>300dpi, so the image will look around 4 times smaller on paper than on
    >>screen.
    >>
    >>If that isn't the question, then I don't understand what you mean.

    > No. I made the image in Photoshop 7 and its dimensions are 4.5" x 3.5".
    > When I upload it, put it on a webpage and print it, it prints about an
    > inch smaller on the paper at *any* resolution I have my printer set.
    > When I print it from Photoshop, it prints normally.

    er... you cant measure images on screen in inches honey. What if I have
    a 15" wide display running at 800x600 resolution. How big would your
    image be in physical inches then? Now what happens if I increase my
    resolution to 1024x768 on the same screen? Suddenly your image is 30%
    smaller in physical inches. Now I run it on my 21" flat panel running at
    1600x1200... your image would look tiny!

    You CANNOT measure computer graphics in inches, only pixels.

    PhotoShop will expand images when it prints them, as will other
    programs, if your printer driver supports the feature. Basically you are
    trying to achieve something that is not possible as it relies on
    everyone on the planet having the exact same computer screen size,
    running at exactly the same resolution, with exactly the same printer
    and printer driver, AND exactly the same Operating System...

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 23, 2004
  5. menu boy

    menu boy Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    > menu boy wrote:
    >
    > > "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message

    > >>First of all, don't use bitmap images on your pages. See:
    > >>http://webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/html_image_format

    > > I'm using a bmp for my own uses, not for people browsing.
    > >

    > >>How do you mean? If you mean, "how come when I print a bitmap image it
    > >>looks smaller on paper than it does on screen?" Then the answer is

    because
    > >>your screen resolution is something like 72dpi but your printer is using
    > >>300dpi, so the image will look around 4 times smaller on paper than on
    > >>screen.
    > >>
    > >>If that isn't the question, then I don't understand what you mean.

    > > No. I made the image in Photoshop 7 and its dimensions are 4.5" x 3.5".
    > > When I upload it, put it on a webpage and print it, it prints about an
    > > inch smaller on the paper at *any* resolution I have my printer set.
    > > When I print it from Photoshop, it prints normally.
    > >

    > er... you cant measure images on screen in inches honey. What if I have
    > a 15" wide display running at 800x600 resolution. How big would your
    > image be in physical inches then? Now what happens if I increase my
    > resolution to 1024x768 on the same screen? Suddenly your image is 30%
    > smaller in physical inches. Now I run it on my 21" flat panel running at
    > 1600x1200... your image would look tiny!
    >
    > You CANNOT measure computer graphics in inches, only pixels.
    >
    > PhotoShop will expand images when it prints them, as will other
    > programs, if your printer driver supports the feature. Basically you are
    > trying to achieve something that is not possible as it relies on
    > everyone on the planet having the exact same computer screen size,
    > running at exactly the same resolution, with exactly the same printer
    > and printer driver, AND exactly the same Operating System...

    Since there isn't an infinite number of combinations screen sizes, printer
    settings and OS', one would assume there would be software that would
    make this possible.

    menu boy, Jul 23, 2004
  6. menu boy

    SpaceGirl Guest

    menu boy wrote:

    > Since there isn't an infinite number of combinations screen sizes, printer
    > settings and OS', one would assume there would be software that would
    > make this possible.

    There isn't, so write it, or wait for Windows 6 (which supports window
    scaling).

    Your statement suggest very little understanding in the way computers
    work.... really do some googling, and you'll see why this is NOT
    something easily achieved.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 23, 2004
  7. menu boy

    Arondelle Guest

    menu boy wrote:

    > "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>menu boy wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message

    >>>I'm using a bmp for my own uses, not for people browsing.

    > because

    >>>No. I made the image in Photoshop 7 and its dimensions are 4.5" x 3.5".
    >>>When I upload it, put it on a webpage and print it, it prints about an
    >>>inch smaller on the paper at *any* resolution I have my printer set.
    >>>When I print it from Photoshop, it prints normally.
    >>>

    >>er... you cant measure images on screen in inches honey. What if I have
    >>a 15" wide display running at 800x600 resolution. How big would your
    >>image be in physical inches then? Now what happens if I increase my
    >>resolution to 1024x768 on the same screen? Suddenly your image is 30%
    >>smaller in physical inches. Now I run it on my 21" flat panel running at
    >>1600x1200... your image would look tiny!
    >>
    >>You CANNOT measure computer graphics in inches, only pixels.
    >>
    >>PhotoShop will expand images when it prints them, as will other
    >>programs, if your printer driver supports the feature. Basically you are
    >>trying to achieve something that is not possible as it relies on
    >>everyone on the planet having the exact same computer screen size,
    >>running at exactly the same resolution, with exactly the same printer
    >>and printer driver, AND exactly the same Operating System...
    >>

    > Since there isn't an infinite number of combinations screen sizes, printer
    > settings and OS', one would assume there would be software that would
    > make this possible.

    Um, you can calculate the size that an image will print out based on the
    number of pixels in the image vs the resolution of the printer. It has
    nothing to do with monitor resolution. And printer resolutions can be
    adjusted by the user.

    An image 300 pixels wide will print out 1" wide on a 300dpi printer. If
    you want that image to print out 5" wide on a 300dpi printer, then you
    have to resize the image by 5 times or 1500 pixels -- which is
    uncomfortably wide on the average monitor. If you have an image 100
    pixels wide, then it will be 1/3" when printed out on that same printer.

    Of course, it may just me me, but my Deskjet prints out webpages at
    96dpi, not 300dpi. That 300 pixel wide image will print out at just
    over 3" wide. The 100 pixel image will print out at just over 1". So,
    the lower the dpi of the printer, the larger an image will print out on
    a dot for pixel basis.

    If you want to offer people images to print, make your images in various
    resolutions (Coarse(96dpi), Medium(150dpi), Fine(300dpi) and, if you
    dare, Photo(1200+dpi)) and then create links to the images for download
    in the format of your choice rather than attempting to plug a
    one-size-should-fit-all, non-web-friendly format image into a webpage.

    Arondelle
    To email me, empty the pond with a net

    Arondelle, Jul 23, 2004
  8. menu boy

    menu boy Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    > menu boy wrote:
    >
    > > Since there isn't an infinite number of combinations screen sizes,

    printer
    > > settings and OS', one would assume there would be software that would
    > > make this possible.
    > >

    > There isn't, so write it, or wait for Windows 6 (which supports window
    > scaling).
    >
    > Your statement suggest very little understanding in the way computers
    > work.... really do some googling, and you'll see why this is NOT
    > something easily achieved.

    Thank you for your condescending remarks. I can see what
    you offer to this NG. Plonk.

    menu boy, Jul 24, 2004
  9. menu boy

    menu boy Guest

    "Arondelle" <> wrote in message
    > menu boy wrote:
    >
    > > "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message

    > > because

    using

    3.5".

    > >>er... you cant measure images on screen in inches honey. What if I have
    > >>a 15" wide display running at 800x600 resolution. How big would your
    > >>image be in physical inches then? Now what happens if I increase my
    > >>resolution to 1024x768 on the same screen? Suddenly your image is 30%
    > >>smaller in physical inches. Now I run it on my 21" flat panel running at
    > >>1600x1200... your image would look tiny!
    > >>
    > >>You CANNOT measure computer graphics in inches, only pixels.
    > >>
    > >>PhotoShop will expand images when it prints them, as will other
    > >>programs, if your printer driver supports the feature. Basically you are
    > >>trying to achieve something that is not possible as it relies on
    > >>everyone on the planet having the exact same computer screen size,
    > >>running at exactly the same resolution, with exactly the same printer
    > >>and printer driver, AND exactly the same Operating System...
    > >>

    > > Since there isn't an infinite number of combinations screen sizes,

    printer
    > > settings and OS', one would assume there would be software that would
    > > make this possible.

    > Um, you can calculate the size that an image will print out based on the
    > number of pixels in the image vs the resolution of the printer. It has
    > nothing to do with monitor resolution. And printer resolutions can be
    > adjusted by the user.
    >
    > An image 300 pixels wide will print out 1" wide on a 300dpi printer. If
    > you want that image to print out 5" wide on a 300dpi printer, then you
    > have to resize the image by 5 times or 1500 pixels -- which is
    > uncomfortably wide on the average monitor. If you have an image 100
    > pixels wide, then it will be 1/3" when printed out on that same printer.
    >
    > Of course, it may just me me, but my Deskjet prints out webpages at
    > 96dpi, not 300dpi. That 300 pixel wide image will print out at just
    > over 3" wide. The 100 pixel image will print out at just over 1". So,
    > the lower the dpi of the printer, the larger an image will print out on
    > a dot for pixel basis.
    >
    > If you want to offer people images to print, make your images in various
    > resolutions (Coarse(96dpi), Medium(150dpi), Fine(300dpi) and, if you
    > dare, Photo(1200+dpi)) and then create links to the images for download
    > in the format of your choice rather than attempting to plug a
    > one-size-should-fit-all, non-web-friendly format image into a webpage.

    Thanks. I did finally figure that out and I know how I can
    calculate to account for different variables.
    And thanks for not being a prick (or c*nt) about it. I had no
    idea that some people could be such dicks (or tw*ts) when
    asking a simple question.

    menu boy, Jul 24, 2004
  10. menu boy

    Arondelle Guest

    menu boy wrote:
    >>If you want to offer people images to print, make your images in various
    >>resolutions (Coarse(96dpi), Medium(150dpi), Fine(300dpi) and, if you
    >>dare, Photo(1200+dpi)) and then create links to the images for download
    >>in the format of your choice rather than attempting to plug a
    >>one-size-should-fit-all, non-web-friendly format image into a webpage.

    > Thanks. I did finally figure that out and I know how I can
    > calculate to account for different variables.
    > And thanks for not being a prick (or c*nt) about it. I had no
    > idea that some people could be such dicks (or tw*ts) when
    > asking a simple question.

    You're welcome, I guess.

    I just happen to have been dealing with screen-to-print issues for 10
    years, give or take. Internet programming may be a newish field for me,
    but printing stuff isn't: used to be called Desktop Publishing.

    I just don't claim to know everything, and I don't always have to be
    right. Experts tend to wish to be treated as such, and don't always
    have much patience with non-experts.

    ::shrugs:: Treat others as you wish to be treated.

    Arondelle, Jul 24, 2004
  11. menu boy

    menu boy Guest

    "Arondelle" <> wrote in message
    > menu boy wrote:
    > >>If you want to offer people images to print, make your images in various
    > >>resolutions (Coarse(96dpi), Medium(150dpi), Fine(300dpi) and, if you
    > >>dare, Photo(1200+dpi)) and then create links to the images for download
    > >>in the format of your choice rather than attempting to plug a
    > >>one-size-should-fit-all, non-web-friendly format image into a webpage.

    > > Thanks. I did finally figure that out and I know how I can
    > > calculate to account for different variables.
    > > And thanks for not being a prick (or c*nt) about it. I had no
    > > idea that some people could be such dicks (or tw*ts) when
    > > asking a simple question.

    > You're welcome, I guess.
    >
    > I just happen to have been dealing with screen-to-print issues for 10
    > years, give or take.

    Thanks for saving me 10 years. ;)

    > Internet programming may be a newish field for me,
    > but printing stuff isn't: used to be called Desktop Publishing.
    >
    > I just don't claim to know everything, and I don't always have to be
    > right. Experts tend to wish to be treated as such, and don't always
    > have much patience with non-experts.

    Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

    > ::shrugs:: Treat others as you wish to be treated.

    I've been playing the Usenet game for over 10 years. I know
    some people get off on themselves and I say, let them.
    Thanks for your help.

    menu boy, Jul 24, 2004
  12. menu boy

    Frogleg Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:00:36 GMT, "menu boy" <>
    wrote:

    >> > No. I made the image in Photoshop 7 and its dimensions are 4.5" x 3.5".
    >> > When I upload it, put it on a webpage and print it, it prints about an
    >> > inch smaller on the paper at *any* resolution I have my printer set.
    >> > When I print it from Photoshop, it prints normally.

    That's because Photoshop is kindly doing the scaling conversion from
    inches to pixels for you.

    Frogleg, Jul 24, 2004
  13. menu boy

    Frogleg Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 01:20:49 GMT, "menu boy" <>
    wrote:

    >Thank you for your condescending remarks. I can see what
    >you offer to this NG. Plonk.

    On the contrary, SpaceGirl was extremely patient in trying to explain
    the concept. Just because the explanation didn't suit you is no reason
    to be rude.

    Frogleg, Jul 24, 2004
  14. menu boy

    menu boy Guest

    "Frogleg" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 01:20:49 GMT, "menu boy" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Thank you for your condescending remarks. I can see what
    > >you offer to this NG. Plonk.

    > On the contrary, SpaceGirl was extremely patient in trying to explain
    > the concept. Just because the explanation didn't suit you is no reason
    > to be rude.

    There was no reason for *her* to be rude and condescending.

    menu boy, Jul 24, 2004
  15. menu boy

    Neal Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:54:37 GMT, menu boy <> wrote:

    > "Frogleg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 01:20:49 GMT, "menu boy" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Thank you for your condescending remarks. I can see what
    >> >you offer to this NG. Plonk.

    >> On the contrary, SpaceGirl was extremely patient in trying to explain
    >> the concept. Just because the explanation didn't suit you is no reason
    >> to be rude.

    > There was no reason for *her* to be rude and condescending.

    I found her neither rude nor condescending, but matter-of-fact and
    concise. Perhaps you don't like that.

    Neal, Jul 25, 2004