implementing tail command

lak

i want to write a program that implement tail and tail -f command in
unix.
can any one help me in this?

Lew Pitcher

i want to write a program that implement tail and tail -f command in
unix.
can any one help me in this?

You might want to (re)read the comp.lang.c thread from last week that
asked this very question.

Lew

Mark Bluemel

lak said:
i want to write a program that implement tail and tail -f command in
unix.
can any one help me in this?
You could read the thread on this subject from last week, as Lew has
suggested.

You could more relevantly ask the question in comp.unix.programmer
(checking the FAQ and the archives - using Google Groups - before
posting your question would be a good thing).

CBFalconer

lak said:
i want to write a program that implement tail and tail -f command
in unix. can any one help me in this?

Yes. At the prompt, type "tail <filename>" (or "tail -f
<filename>"). "which tail" and "man tail" may also be of
interest. This is off-topic in c.l.c.

Keith Thompson

CBFalconer said:
Yes. At the prompt, type "tail <filename>" (or "tail -f
<filename>"). "which tail" and "man tail" may also be of
interest. This is off-topic in c.l.c.

Oh, come on. Since he posted in comp.lang.c, we can assume he wants
to write a C program.

Implementing "tail" in standard C is a fairly interesting problem.
"tail -f" can't be reasonably implemented in purely standard C.

The real problem, of course, is that we discussed this at some length
just a few days ago.

Richard

CBFalconer said:
Yes. At the prompt, type "tail <filename>" (or "tail -f
<filename>"). "which tail" and "man tail" may also be of
interest. This is off-topic in c.l.c.

No. Using Unix like shell commands are off topic here. Since he is in a
C group I guess it's fairly obvious that he is looking for some C
guidance.

This was discussed just a short while back as you probably well know.

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp....ad/648db15bbcfc8b8e/f671d504dbf1637b?lnk=raot

or

http://tinyurl.com/3xspy5

Your multiple signatures are still disrupting auto-snipping FYI.

Sjouke Burry

lak said:
i want to write a program that implement tail and tail -f command in
unix.
can any one help me in this?
Something useful for beginners:
http://c.snippets.org/

Download the zip archive, there are all sort of small programs,
like calc, head, tail, grep etcetera.
Beware tough, a lot of them were written for a DOS environment.