in select: interrupt

Mark Firestone

Anyone getting errors like this.... I'm working on a console mode full
screen editor (that Dossy kindly prototyped for me years ago).
Basically, it's reading $STD_IN with a select, thusly:

if select([@in_io], nil, nil, 1)
c = @in_io.sysread(1)

{lots of stuff to process the input follows...}

Funny thing is, there seems to be a finite amount of code that can be
below here, in the input loop. After I add a certian amount, I start
getting funny errors while I'm typing in the editor, either in select:
interrupt, or the program simply says "Quit" and abends.

If I take some code out, the behaviour stops. Problem is, I need this
code. I was also having the same issues when i was using
term/ansicolor. I wrote my own ansi module and this went away, until
I started adding code to the select loop.
I've used select in this way before, on a TCP/IP socket, with no issues....

Robert Klemme

2008/7/1 Mark Firestone said:
[...]

Frankly, this is far too little information to come up with any
meaningful reply. You do not even give specific errors or stack
traces.

From what you posted I'd say it is something timing related or mixing
sysread with other IO operations but these are a totally wild guesses.
Personally I start implementing with #read and only switch to
#sysread if there is a particular reason for using this.

Cheers

robert

Mark Firestone

Thanks for the advice. I can provide more of the code, or all the code...

The specific error messages are:

fsed.rb:681:in 'select': Interrupt
from fsed.rb 681:in 'run'
from edit.rb:93

-or-
the application simply reports "Quit", with no error at all

Let me send you the whole loop... it's long and not refactored and a
mess.... so no laughing (out loud...)

I'm not sure what else I could provide. Unix low level io is not one
of my skills...

Appreciate any other advice you guys could give, and I will happily
provide any info you want.

Take Care and thanks!

Mark

while true

if select([@in_io], nil, nil, 1)
c = @in_io.sysread(1)
#c = @in_io.getc
$lf.print"c: #{c.bytes.to_a}\n"

if @supress then # if we are suppressing the mysterious
extra linefeed... we do that here.
@supress = false
c = 0.chr if c.bytes.to_a[0] = 10
end

if @w_mode then #We are in winodw mode, not edit mode...
$lf.print "in wmode\n"
$lf.print "c: #{c.upcase}"

case c
when "\e" #effectively, esc this is cancel for everything
@w_mode = false
@out_io.print @state.screen_clear
else
case @w_type
when ABORT,SAVE
if c.upcase == "Y" then
@state.clear if ABORT
@state.clear_screen
sleep(4)
break
else
@out_io.print @state.screen_clear
@w_mode = false
end
end
end

else
case c
when "\cX" # exit
@out_io.print @state.yes_no_window("Post message... Are you sure?")
@w_type = SAVE
@w_mode = true
when "\cG","\eOP"
@out_io.print @state.help_window
@w_type = MESSAGE
@w_mode = true
when "\cA"
@out_io.print @state.yes_no_window("Abort message... Are you sure?")
@w_type = ABORT
@w_mode = true
when "\cN" #insert line
@state.newline
@out_io.print @state.redraw(true)
when "\cY" #delete line
@state.deleteline
@out_io.print @state.redraw(true)
when "\cL" # refresh
@out_io.print @state.redraw(true)
when "\r","\n"
$lf.print "i'm at newline\n"
@state.newline
@supress = true if @bbs_mode #telnet seems to like to echo
linefeeds. lets supress this ...
@out_io.print @state.redraw(true)
when "\010", "\177"
redraw = @state.backspace
@out_io.print "\e[#{@state.current_y + @state.header_height};1H\e[K"
@out_io.print @state.buffer.line(@state.current_y)
@out_io.print @state.update_cursor_position
@out_io.print @state.redraw(true) if redraw
when "\e" # escape
buf = c
else
if buf.nil?
chr = c.unpack("c")[0]
if (chr >= 32 && chr <= 127)
out_c,redraw = @state.input_char_at_cursor(c)
@out_io.putc(out_c) if !out_c.nil?
@out_io.print @state.redraw(true) if redraw
end
else
buf << c
$lf.print "buf: #{buf}\n"
case buf
when "\e[H","\e[1"
@state.home_cursor
@out_io.print @state.update_cursor_position
when "\e[F","\e[4"
@state.end_cursor
@out_io.print @state.update_cursor_position
when "\e[6"
redraw = @state.page_down
@out_io.print @state.redraw(true) if redraw
when "\e[5"
redraw = @state.page_up
@out_io.print @state.redraw(true) if redraw
when "\e[2"
@state.toggle_ins
@out_io.print @state.redraw(true)
when "\e[A"
redraw = @state.move_cursor_up(1)
if redraw
@out_io.print @state.redraw(true)
else
@out_io.print @state.update_cursor_position
end
buf = nil
when "\e[B"
redraw = @state.move_cursor_down(1)
if redraw
@out_io.print @state.redraw(true)
else
@out_io.print @state.update_cursor_position
end
buf = nil
when "\e[D"
@state.move_cursor_left(1)
@out_io.print @state.update_cursor_position
buf = nil
when "\e[C"
@state.move_cursor_right(1)
@out_io.print @state.update_cursor_position
buf = nil
else
if buf.size >= 3
buf = nil
end
end
end
end
end
end
end
@state.buffer
end
end

2008/7/1 Mark Firestone said:
[...]

From what you posted I'd say it is something timing related or mixing

2008/7/1 Mark Firestone said:
Thanks for the advice. I can provide more of the code, or all the code...

The specific error messages are:

fsed.rb:681:in 'select': Interrupt
from fsed.rb 681:in 'run'
from edit.rb:93

Hm, maybe your process receives a signal or the thread is somehow interrupted.
-or-
the application simply reports "Quit", with no error at all

Then you're probably catch an exception somewhere without rethrowing
or reporting it.
Let me send you the whole loop... it's long and not refactored and a
mess.... so no laughing (out loud...)

Laughing is usually not my reaction to this kind of mess...
I'm not sure what else I could provide. Unix low level io is not one
of my skills...

You are doing at least one mistake: you #select with a timeout but do
not check return values. With a timeout #select might return without
anything to read - simply because time has passed.

Also, as I said, I'd start with the regular #read and not use #sysread.

Cheers

robert

Mark Firestone

Hm, maybe your process receives a signal or the thread is somehow interrupted.

Then you're probably catch an exception somewhere without rethrowing
or reporting it.

Laughing is usually not my reaction to this kind of mess...
Heh. So, what is your usual reaction? Tears? Dispair? It's a mess
I intend to clean up, I assure you... (;
You are doing at least one mistake: you #select with a timeout but do
not check return values. With a timeout #select might return without
anything to read - simply because time has passed.

Shouldn't it return nil in that case?
Also, as I said, I'd start with the regular #read and not use #sysread.

Ok. What's the difference?

Robert Klemme

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Robert Klemme

Heh. So, what is your usual reaction? Tears? Dispair?

You don't want to know.
It's a mess
I intend to clean up, I assure you... (;

That's good to hear. <rant>There are too many around creating even
worse messes and not caring. Usually other have to clean up after them
and remove all the bugs. Worst of all initially they have to spend
numerous hours understanding what the poorly written code was supposed
to do in the first place. Often it's just lack of experience but even
more often it seems that it's just carelessness - probably because they
do not take pride in what they do or just don't like their work and are
just in SE for the money. said:
Shouldn't it return nil in that case?

Yep, I think you are right. Sorry for that. But given the fact that
you are reading from a single stream only why do you use select at all -
especially since you do an endless loop anyway? I mean, you could just
do blocking reads, couldn't you?
Ok. What's the difference?

http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/IO.html#M000484

I believe it will at least circumvent Ruby's buffering. Rdocs are not
very exhaustive and I don't have my copy of the Pickaxe handy but I'd
always first use the "regular" methods #read and #write.

Kind regards

robert