Include file minimization

Taylor

I've searched and could not find anything no this, so I am hoping
someone in this newsgroup can help, or direct me to post in another
newsgroup where I can get help.

Java has a utility to reduce the "import" definitions created by
programmers that it determines are unneccessary. This is a feature I
would like to find for C++ to reduce the dependency file lists for
"include" files.

Does anything like this exist?

Victor Bazarov

Taylor said:
I've searched and could not find anything no this, so I am hoping
someone in this newsgroup can help, or direct me to post in another
newsgroup where I can get help.

Java has a utility to reduce the "import" definitions created by
programmers that it determines are unneccessary. This is a feature I
would like to find for C++ to reduce the dependency file lists for
"include" files.

Does anything like this exist?

It's been asked recently and I don't remember anything concrete
posted in response. Dependencies between source files and headers
are a constant headache for developers of anything resembling
a large project, and no good maintenance tools seem to exist there.

Often the situation is left as is just because the damage it does
to the build process is low and savings of weeding out headers that
are not used are negligible compared to the effort to actually do
the weeding.

You might want to check the newsgroup for your compiler and the
comp.software-eng...

Best of luck!

Victor