#include<iostream> doesnt work in VC++ compiler

nichas

I tried to use #include<iostream> in visual C++ compiler but then it
didnt work but i see this is the way it is being mentioned in C++
primer by lippman and lajoie.. where is the problem..
Do reply please.

Mike Wahler

nichas said:
I tried to use #include<iostream> in visual C++ compiler but then it
didnt work

Define "didnt work." It works for me just fine.
but i see this is the way it is being mentioned in C++
primer by lippman and lajoie..

That's because that's the valid name for that header.
where is the problem..

Probably that you aren't reading *everything* in your book.

I'll take a guess at what's causing your problem and
tell you to look up 'std' and 'namespace'.

-Mike

peter steiner

nichas said:
I tried to use #include<iostream> in visual C++ compiler but then it
didnt work but i see this is the way it is being mentioned in C++
primer by lippman and lajoie.. where is the problem..
Do reply please.

try:

#include <iostream>

notice the space between #include and <iostream>

-- peter

Dan Cernat

nichas said:
I tried to use #include<iostream> in visual C++ compiler but then it
didnt work but i see this is the way it is being mentioned in C++
primer by lippman and lajoie.. where is the problem..
Do reply please.

The problem is on the line 42 of your code.
Learn how to post.

Mike Wahler

peter steiner said:
try:

#include <iostream>

notice the space between #include and <iostream>

The space is not required (however I do use one because
I find it more readable).

-Mike

Thomas Tutone

nichas said:
I tried to use #include<iostream> in visual C++ compiler but then it
didnt work but i see this is the way it is being mentioned in C++
primer by lippman and lajoie.. where is the problem..
Do reply please.

Copy and past (DON'T RETYPE) the following program, then please report
back on what it tells you after you compile and execute it:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "It turns out <iostream> works fine." << std::endl;
}

Best regards,

Tom

Kyle

[snip]
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "It turns out <iostream> works fine." << std::endl;
}

almost ... std::endl is in <ostream>, but since standard headers may
include each other it may work sometimes (ok ok, it works on every
compiler i am aware of, but still ...)

John Harrison

nichas said:
I tried to use #include<iostream> in visual C++ compiler but then it
didnt work but i see this is the way it is being mentioned in C++
primer by lippman and lajoie.. where is the problem..
Do reply please.

It does work. You're doing something wrong. Please post the code you say
doesn't work, say why you think it doesn't work, and specify which
version of Visual C++ you are using.

John

Karl Heinz Buchegger

John said:
It does work. You're doing something wrong. Please post the code you say
doesn't work, say why you think it doesn't work, and specify which
version of Visual C++ you are using.

and most important: tell us the error message from your compiler.
Usually the first 2 or 3 messages are sufficient.

nichas

Thomas, it worked fine.. I think that the problem lies in me.. i did
complete a intermediate level course in C++ about 2years back and
things have faded away.. so i got to get through them and then only
post any doubts not leading to waste of ur time.. i will surely find
the difference in code given by you and the code which gave me the
error and i do appologize i should have provide the group with the code
and the error that emanated.. thanks again all of you and thomas you
too..