Injecting code into the <head></head> section

Brian W

Hi All,

I have a web user control that, among other things, provides Print this
page, and Email this page functionality I have this script that is to
execute on the click of the asp:hyperlinks

I have a function in a <SCRIPT> block that I want in the <head></head>
section of the page. Unfortunately, RegisterClientScriptBlock,
RegisterStartupScript don't always work, and when they do the script is
placed inside the <form> tag (this seems stupid to me).

Is there anyway, from the web user control to insert code into the <head>
section of the page using the web user control?

-- also --

How does one go about debugging java script? Some code I'm working on has an
error and the little "!" icon flashes in the status bar of the browser, then
goes away.

Thanks, as always!

Brian W

Kevin Spencer

What reason do you have for wanting to put the script inside the <head>? It
really makes no difference.

HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
Internet Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of Little things.

Joe Iano

To debug javascript, open the page in the latest Netscape. Once the page is
fully loaded, type "javascript:" in the address bar to view the debugger.

[...]

Marina

For javascript debugging, make sure you have your IE settings set to enable
debugging and to display a notification about every error. This is in
Option on the Tools menu on the Advanced tab.

I also don't see a specific reason for the script to be in the HEAD section.
Can you please explain what it is you are trying to do, that you think
requires this?

bruce barker

if you look in the controls collection, you see the first/second control is
a literal control which contains the <head></head> (if defined on the page).
you can inject your code there with a little string manipulation.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Brian W

To all those that replied, thanks for taking the time to reply...

I have several reasons for wanting to put the script in the HEAD section.

1) A few years ago, at a big e-company, I tried to put some script in BODY
and was chastised for doing so. When I questioned why I was given some
reason about how some errors were processed. And placing the script within
the HEAD section either hid these errors form the end user (sorry for the
vagueness, they made it clear as mud to me then too;).

Is this not true?

2) It seems to be much cleaner. If the implementation of some JavaScript
functions are in the HEAD section then there is only one place to look.

3) All the examples I seem to find have the SCRIPT blocks in the head
section, so I guess It may at least partially be a case of monkey see,
monkey do.... Seriously, if it doesn't matter, then why is it done this way
in so many places?

If I could get RegisterClientScriptBlock and/or RegisterStartupScript to
work consistently then I probably wouldn't care.

Thanks again
Brian W

Kevin Spencer

A few years ago it might have made a difference. Today it doesn't. What
problems are you having with the .Net methods?

HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
Internet Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of Little things.

Brian W

Kevin Spencer said:
A few years ago it might have made a difference. Today it doesn't. What
problems are you having with the .Net methods?

Even though, as you say, "A few years ago it might have made a difference".
Aren't those browsers still in use today? And shouldn't one at least try to
support the lowest possible denominator? I know I still see people on some
of the NG's asking questions about Win 95, 98 and their browsers.

As for the problems I have with the 2 methods, I 've been poundin my head
against my desk on that one, and realized the page I was testing doesn't
have a <form> tag. now that I put one in ithey work. but I still have a
problem with that. I may want my code on a page that doesn't have a form
defined. If that's the case then I'm out of luck.

It seems silly to put a FORM on a page that has no need for one.

Brian W

Kevin Spencer

Hi Brian,

You asked if those browsers aren't still in use today. Since there are
nearly 7 Billion people in the world, I would have to say "probably yes, a
few." However, you are writing a web application, not a web site with static
pages. And there aren't any professional developers out there that design
for all POSSIBLE browsers. Most developers target version 4 and above of the
popular browsers. Since browsers are free, there are extremely few people
who don't have a version 4 or above. And those people aren't worth worrying
about. Remember, we're not talking about 5-year-old browsers here. We're
talking about 10-year-old browsers.

In fact, if you are going to worry about JavaScript in the <head> of your
page because of older browsers, how do you plan to accomodate those older
browsers that don't support JavaScript at all?

I hope you see my point.

HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
Internet Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of Little things.

Joe Iano

Brian: I tend to agree, that inserting script into the page head should be
an option. The following is from a previous thread. I haven't tried it, but
perhaps it will help: