inline functions

Aloo

Let's say I have a function

func()

func();

I.e it is a recursive function. What happens if I declare it inline

Jordan Abel

Let's say I have a function

func()

func();

I.e it is a recursive function. What happens if I declare it inline

It won't be inlined, or it will only be inlined a certain number of
times.

There is no _requirement_ that the compiler insert inline code at any
given place the function is called.

Ian Collins

Aloo said:
Let's say I have a function

func()

func();

I.e it is a recursive function. What happens if I declare it inline
inline is more of a hint than an instruction, the compiler is at liberty
to ignore 'inline' where it considers inline to be inappropriate. This
would be one of those cases.

Grumble

Aloo said:
Let's say I have a [recursive] function.
What happens if I declare it inline

inline is merely a hint to the compiler, and it may be ignored.

On a related note, good optimizing compilers can eliminate some
forms of recursion.