inputting local filepath

Discussion in 'Java' started by Justin, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. Justin

    Justin Guest

    I am attempting to input a database location from a txt file located
    within the build folder. However, I am having a bitchin time getting
    it to work with relative file location. So far, I can only get
    absolute file names to work, this is useless. Any help would be
    appreciated. My code can be found below....

    import java.sql.*;
    import javax.swing.DefaultListModel;
    import java.io.*;

    import java.awt.*;
    import java.awt.event.*;
    import javax.swing.*;
    import java.io.*;

    public class DataConnection {

    public DataConnection(){
    DataInputStream input;
    String name = "";
    File dBLocation = new File("C:\\Documents and
    Settings\\Owner.JustinLaptop\\Desktop\\USC
    Programs\\ConsultRequest\\build\\classes\\consultrequest\\testing\\dBURL.txt");

    dBLocation = new File("..consultrequest\\testing\\dBURL.txt");
    System.out.println(dBLocation.getParentFile());

    System.out.println(dBLocation.exists());
    try { // try to create an object representing the user-selected file
    input = new DataInputStream( new FileInputStream(dBLocation) );

    try { // try to read the file and create a string consisting of
    its contents
    char ch;
    do { // read data from the file until end of file is reached
    name = "";
    ch = input.readChar();
    while ( ch != ';' ) {
    name = name + ch;
    ch = input.readChar();

    while ( true );
    } catch ( Exception ex ) {
    }

    try { // try to close the file
    input.close();
    } catch ( Exception ex ) {
    }

    } catch ( Exception ex ) {
    System.out.println("Database location cannot be found");
    }

    System.out.println(name);
    }

    public static void main(String[] args){

    DataConnection data = new DataConnection();

    Justin, Dec 22, 2006

  2. On 21 Dec 2006 23:42:01 -0800, Justin wrote:
    > I am attempting to input a database location from a txt file located
    > within the build folder. However, I am having a bitchin time getting
    > it to work with relative file location.

    [...]

    > dBLocation = new File("..consultrequest\\testing\\dBURL.txt");

    Probably you meant "..\\consultrequest" here.

    Also, realize that to work, the path must be relative to the working
    directory at runtime, not compile time.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Dec 22, 2006

  3. Justin

    Phi Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > I am attempting to input a database location from a txt file located
    > within the build folder. However, I am having a bitchin time getting
    > it to work with relative file location. So far, I can only get
    > absolute file names to work, this is useless. Any help would be
    > appreciated. My code can be found below....
    >

    > import java.sql.*;
    > import javax.swing.DefaultListModel;
    > import java.io.*;
    >

    > import java.awt.*;
    > import java.awt.event.*;
    > import javax.swing.*;
    > import java.io.*;
    >

    > public class DataConnection {
    >
    > public DataConnection(){
    > DataInputStream input;
    > String name = "";
    > File dBLocation = new File("C:\\Documents and
    > Settings\\Owner.JustinLaptop\\Desktop\\USC
    > Programs\\ConsultRequest\\build\\classes\\consultrequest\\testing\\dBURL.txt");
    >
    > dBLocation = new File("..consultrequest\\testing\\dBURL.txt");
    > System.out.println(dBLocation.getParentFile());
    >
    > System.out.println(dBLocation.exists());
    > try { // try to create an object representing the user-selected file
    > input = new DataInputStream( new FileInputStream(dBLocation) );
    >
    > try { // try to read the file and create a string consisting of
    > its contents
    > char ch;
    > do { // read data from the file until end of file is reached
    > name = "";
    > ch = input.readChar();
    > while ( ch != ';' ) {
    > name = name + ch;
    > ch = input.readChar();
    >
    > while ( true );
    > } catch ( Exception ex ) {
    > }
    >
    > try { // try to close the file
    > input.close();
    > } catch ( Exception ex ) {
    > }
    >
    > } catch ( Exception ex ) {
    > System.out.println("Database location cannot be found");
    > }
    >
    > System.out.println(name);
    > }
    >

    > public static void main(String[] args){
    >
    > DataConnection data = new DataConnection();

    Hello
    Your "..consultrequest\\testing\\dBURL.txt" is a strange notation for a
    relative file (it is missing something after the two dots "..").
    Try "../consultrequest/testing/dBURL.txt" instead.
    Or simpler: use the "parent working direcotry (pwd)" and put your File
    "dBURL.txt" to the same directory where you start "java ..." (the
    virtual machine. Then you should be able to open your file simply using

    String fileName = "dBURL.txt";
    FileReader fr = new FileReader(fileName);

    phi

    Phi, Dec 22, 2006