Insert a string into a string

HansWernerMarschke

Is there a special function to insert a string into another string ?
For example I want to exchange the german "Umlauts" ä,ö,ü with ae,oe
and ue in a string.
I also wonder if there is a function to get the alphabet of a string ?
Do two strings share the same alphabet ?

P.S.: What book can you recommand your C and/or C++ ? Don´t say
Kernighan & Ritchie. Should be useful not only to learn but also to
look up things.

Thanks a lot

santosh

Richard said:
I would heartily NOT recommend the Standard C Library for a new
programmer to C. It is more of a reference for when you understand how
to program in C IMO.

The OP seems to want something that he can use as a tutorial *and* as a
reference. K&R2 is actually very suitable for this purpose (barring the
fact that's for C90), but he explicitly said he doesn't want it to be
recommended.

As an alternative he might try /C Primer Plus/ by Stephen Prata.
<http://safari.oreilly.com/0672326965>

It's a good book for learning C and also contains a small reference
section as an appendix.

Richard

santosh said:
The OP seems to want something that he can use as a tutorial *and* as a
reference. K&R2 is actually very suitable for this purpose (barring the
fact that's for C90), but he explicitly said he doesn't want it to be
recommended.

It's the best programming tutorial for beginners I have ever read bar
none.
As an alternative he might try /C Primer Plus/ by Stephen Prata.
<http://safari.oreilly.com/0672326965>

It's a good book for learning C and also contains a small reference
section as an appendix.

Agreed.

Default User

P.S.: What book can you recommand your C and/or C++ ? D

First, pick a language. The answers you get (and the newsgroup you
should be using) will vary.

Brian

Keith Thompson

Is there a special function to insert a string into another string ?
For example I want to exchange the german "Umlauts" ä,ö,ü with ae,oe
and ue in a string.
I also wonder if there is a function to get the alphabet of a string ?
Do two strings share the same alphabet ?

What do you mean by "the alphabet of a string"?
P.S.: What book can you recommand your C and/or C++ ? Don't say
Kernighan & Ritchie. Should be useful not only to learn but also to
look up things.

There is no book I'd recommend for C and/or C++. There are books I'd
recommend for C, and books I'd recommend for C++.

For C, I recommend Kernighan & Ritchie. Knowing why you don't want us
to mention it (it's widely considered the best book on C, and one of
the best books on programming) might help us offer more suitable
advice about other books. Harbison & Steele's "C: A Reference
Manual", 5th Edition, is a good reference. The standard is the
definitive reference, but it may not be what you're looking for.

For C++, ask in comp.lang.c++ -- but first check the C++ FAQ.