    code... Example:

    I would like it to say just "Microsoft" and not the entire code.
    Anyone know how to do this in Google groups?
    talkinggoat, Aug 6, 2008

  2. talkinggoat

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode,
    <>, the
    lovely and talented talkinggoat broadcast on alt.html:

    > I was wondering if there was a way to make the Google post accept html
    > code... Example:

    > I would like it to say just "Microsoft" and not the entire code.
    > Anyone know how to do this in Google groups?

    There is not reason an honest person would want to do such a thing.

    <http://www.example.com> in plain text is the accepted way of posting a
    link to USENET. Newsreaders can follow such links and the <> prevents them
    from breaking the line in the case of very long urls.

    If you want to hide the true target, you can always use tinyurl or any other
    similar service. Obviously fools are your intended victims, because people
    who are not fools filter out posts in HTML and do not follow disguised links
    that are posted by people they don't know.

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    War on Terrorism: Treat Readers like Mushrooms
    Lars Eighner, Aug 6, 2008

  3. talkinggoat

    +mrcakey Guest

    "Lars Eighner" <> wrote in message
    > In our last episode,
    > <>, the
    > lovely and talented talkinggoat broadcast on alt.html:
    >
    >> I was wondering if there was a way to make the Google post accept html
    >> code... Example:

    >> I would like it to say just "Microsoft" and not the entire code.
    >> Anyone know how to do this in Google groups?

    > There is not reason an honest person would want to do such a thing.

    To be fair, you could use it to create a link to your site with your
    keywords. For instance, I'd like to do this -

    but I can't.

    +mrcakey
    www.manchester-website-design.co.uk
    +mrcakey, Aug 6, 2008
  4. talkinggoat

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 21:18:14 -0700 (PDT), talkinggoat
    <> wrote:

    >I was wondering if there was a way to make the Google post accept html
    >code... Example:

    >I would like it to say just "Microsoft" and not the entire code.
    >Anyone know how to do this in Google groups?

    if it were possible then google would have already allowed it.
    Embedded html is considered a binary and since google don't do
    binaries, that wouldn't be allowed anyway.

    Outlook Express can post html directly but then binaries are not
    allowed in text only groups. In doing so, you could possibly get your
    account toasted.

    Besides, most newsreaders display text as text regardless of it being
    html or not.
    richard, Aug 6, 2008
  5. *Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:27:33 -0700*, /richard/:

    > Embedded html is considered a binary and since google don't do
    > binaries, that wouldn't be allowed anyway.

    Posting in HTML... just testing your claims.

    alt.html <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html>

    --
    Stanimir
    Stanimir Stamenkov, Aug 6, 2008
  6. Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:05:19 +0300, /Stanimir Stamenkov/:
    > *Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:27:33 -0700*, /richard/:
    >>
    >> Embedded html is considered a binary and since google don't do
    >> binaries, that wouldn't be allowed anyway.

    > Posting in HTML... just testing your claims.
    >
    > alt.html <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html>

    Motzarella doesn't allow me to post in HTML /only/, but here's a
    HTML-only (not a multipart/alternative) example:

    http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.test/msg/c438d544e75e4781

    Anyway, I think it is good people are not aided in posting HTML to
    Usenet. :)

    --
    Stanimir
    Stanimir Stamenkov, Aug 6, 2008
  7. talkinggoat

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode,
    <g7ced7$p6q$>,
    the lovely and talented +mrcakey
    broadcast on alt.html:

    > "Lars Eighner" <> wrote in message
    >> In our last episode,
    >> <>, the
    >> lovely and talented talkinggoat broadcast on alt.html:
    >>
    >>> I was wondering if there was a way to make the Google post accept html
    >>> code... Example:

    >>> I would like it to say just "Microsoft" and not the entire code.
    >>> Anyone know how to do this in Google groups?

    >> There is not reason an honest person would want to do such a thing.
    >>

    > To be fair, you could use it to create a link to your site with your
    > keywords. For instance, I'd like to do this -

    > but I can't.

    > +mrcakey
    > www.manchester-website-design.co.uk

    However, you can make it easier for some newsreaders to find
    the link by including the protocol:

    http://www.manchester-website-design.co.uk Manchester Web Design

    although most human beings will guess what it is without a caption.

    If you are doing a site for The Therapists Organization or a shop
    specializing in moleskin goods (The Mole Station) might have
    problematic URLs.

    Your url won't break in newsreaders until it is buried in many
    levels of quotation, but it it were longer, angle brackets would
    prevent many newsreaders from breaking it.

    <http://www.example.com/therapists/molestation/myveryownpreciousblog/2008-08-04T15_00_00.html>

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Lars Eighner, Aug 6, 2008
  8. talkinggoat

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:25:40 +0300, Stanimir Stamenkov
    <> wrote:

    >Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:05:19 +0300, /Stanimir Stamenkov/:
    >> *Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:27:33 -0700*, /richard/:
    >>>
    >>> Embedded html is considered a binary and since google don't do
    >>> binaries, that wouldn't be allowed anyway.

    >> Posting in HTML... just testing your claims.
    >>
    >> alt.html <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html>

    >Motzarella doesn't allow me to post in HTML /only/, but here's a
    >HTML-only (not a multipart/alternative) example:
    >
    >http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.test/msg/c438d544e75e4781
    >
    >Anyway, I think it is good people are not aided in posting HTML to
    >Usenet. :)

    test groups generally allow anything. If you had posted that to a
    regular text group, such as alt.html, you might get your account
    fried. As I said, many newsreaders will not decode html as intended.
    richard, Aug 6, 2008
  9. Wed, 06 Aug 2008 13:39:07 -0700, /richard/:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:25:40 +0300, Stanimir Stamenkov
    > <> wrote:
    >> Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:05:19 +0300, /Stanimir Stamenkov/:
    >>
    >>> Posting in HTML... just testing your claims.
    >>>
    >>> alt.html <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html>

    >> Motzarella doesn't allow me to post in HTML /only/, but here's a
    >> HTML-only (not a multipart/alternative) example:
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.test/msg/c438d544e75e4781
    >>
    >> Anyway, I think it is good people are not aided in posting HTML to
    >> Usenet. :)

    > test groups generally allow anything. If you had posted that to a
    > regular text group, such as alt.html, you might get your account
    > fried. As I said, many newsreaders will not decode html as intended.

    If you haven't noticed my first reply is in HTML, but it is a
    multiplart/alternative providing a text/plain version, too. HTML
    alone is not binary but people often use it to link to embedded
    images (binaries). Reading the "Terms of use" of my Usenet provider
    I don't see mention of HTML being forbidden:

    http://www.motzarella.org/index.php?showpage=terms

    I'm not arguing HTML should be allowed on Usenet, but merely not
    satisfied with the wording you've given.

    --
    Stanimir
    Stanimir Stamenkov, Aug 7, 2008