install multiple versions of activepython

Hoang

Is it possible to install multiple versions of ActivePython on the same
machine?

Many modules which used to work with Python 2.2 now don't on 2.3. I am
using some 2.3 features but lots of programs that used to work, don't
anymore. This is especially true with modules that expose their libraries
as DLLs. Has backward compatibility been a nagging problem with Python?

Please feel free to chide me if this is a no-brainer question.

Hoang Do
http://jotsite.com

Terry Reedy

Hoang said:
Many modules which used to work with Python 2.2 now don't on 2.3. I am
using some 2.3 features but lots of programs that used to work, don't
anymore. This is especially true with modules that expose their libraries
as DLLs. Has backward compatibility been a
nagging problem with Python?

99+% of Python code that works properly with 2.2
(without depending on a bug) should work with 2.3.
There were very few (and mostly esoteric) semantic
changes. New builtins and modules should be
masked by existing items with the same name.

Binary extension modules are a different matter,
not because C has changed but because binary
extensions have to be compiled to match a
particular binary (at least for Windows, don't ask
me why). *This* is a nagging problem, but not one
with Python per se.

Terry J. Reedy

Hoang

Binary extension modules are a different matter,

exactly, I was using Audiere and it worked with 2.2. Since the upgrade,
I've been unable to use it until the Audiere project updates their binaries.
So I was wondering if it was possible to keep both ActivePython versions
(2.2 and 2.3) installed under Windows....

anyone else run into such a need?

Hoang Do

P Gentry

Hoang said:
exactly, I was using Audiere and it worked with 2.2. Since the upgrade,
I've been unable to use it until the Audiere project updates their binaries.
So I was wondering if it was possible to keep both ActivePython versions
(2.2 and 2.3) installed under Windows....

anyone else run into such a need?

Hoang Do

Yes, it's possible to have two versions on disk, but best to use only
one at a time, unless you know it's OK.

Store them in separate directories trees, one in your path that you
"normally" use and create a shortcut/alias/exported enviroment
variable -- whichever makes the most natural sense for the way you use
the different versions.

If only a few programs _need_ the older version, load the older
version with the approprate file as an arg using above method (if that
is possible) -- one for each program.

HTH,
prg
above email disabled

Trent Mick

[Hoang wrote]
Is it possible to install multiple versions of ActivePython on the same
machine?

Many modules which used to work with Python 2.2 now don't on 2.3. I am
using some 2.3 features but lots of programs that used to work, don't
anymore. This is especially true with modules that expose their libraries
as DLLs. Has backward compatibility been a nagging problem with Python?

Please feel free to chide me if this is a no-brainer question.

As "P Gentry" said, yes you can have ActivePython 2.2 and 2.3 installed
side-by-side. One subtlety: Windows file associations (for .py, .pyc,
..pyo, .pyw, .pys) will generally be to the one you installed last. If
you want to change that you can use run the ActivePython "repair"
functionality to change the file associations to that one.

You may need to manually tweak your PATH to get the installation you
want first on your PATH.

Cheers,
Trent