Install problem on AIX

Chris Hadley

I am installing Python 2.3.2 on AIX 4.3.3

I get to the point where I'm ready to "make install" and I get an
error, with no idea how to get around it.

Here's the tail end of the output:

Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/xml/sax/saxutils.py ...
Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/xml/sax/xmlreader.py ...
Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/xmllib.py ...
Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/xmlrpclib.py ...
Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/zipfile.py ...

We tracked it down to a script called compileall.py or something close
to that which seems to be doing the "Compiling"

Donn Cave

I am installing Python 2.3.2 on AIX 4.3.3

I get to the point where I'm ready to "make install" and I get an
error, with no idea how to get around it.

Here's the tail end of the output:

Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/xml/sax/saxutils.py ...
Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/xml/sax/xmlreader.py ...
Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/xmllib.py ...
Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/xmlrpclib.py ...
Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.3/zipfile.py ...

We tracked it down to a script called compileall.py or something close
to that which seems to be doing the "Compiling"

Have no idea.

Was that output redirected to disk? Python's build
software can buffer a lot of output, and on exit due
to error, that output all comes out and kind of obscures
the issue, because it's out of order. It follows
external output that was not buffered. I note that
zipfile.py just happens to be the last of the .py files,
and it probably didn't have a thing to do with the failure.
More likely you have some C component like curses that
never built and you couldn't see it.

When it's feasible, I try to suppress my normal reflex to
redirect build output, and just paste it into a disk file
afterwards. Configure with CC=cc, --with-cxx=no.

Donn Cave, (e-mail address removed)

Chris Hadley

Hi Donn,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought that having the 2.3b2 already installed may be causing
problems so I modified the makefile version to be 2.3.2 instead of 2.3
which caused the make install to go to the /usr/local/lib/python2.3.2
directory. This seems to have worked. The make install completed.