install problem:: rdoc/ruport from gem

jansenh

Hi group. More newbie stuff...

I have the above mentioned problem - ruport fails while installing from
gem.... ruby(1.8.3/ubuntu) says "no such file to load -- rdoc/rdoc". I
have tried to gem rdoc as well, --remote.... Then gem says: "could not
find rdoc in repository".

rdoc appears to be the problem, not ruport itself

So far I have :
- apt-get installed ruby-1.8.3
- manually installed rubygems-0.8.11.tgz
- gem install rubygems-update

and my gem is (gem -v) 0.8.11

HELP!

--------------------
Be kind, I am just a poor VisualStudio/C# guy, used to have everything
working by clicking 'next' - 'next' -'next', and then adding a
25-letter license code. This is my first attempt with gems. Its also my
first time with ruby on Linux (ubuntu). I have a little experience with
ruby-1.8.2 on winXP and osX only... but only out-of-the-box stuff.
Never used or installed anything else than the default package. Gems
seems like a very neat approach, appart from me not being able to
install my particular package this particular time ;-)

regards, Henning
Norway

Logan Capaldo

[...]

I think you want to do something like
apt-get install ruby18-doc, I'm not sure I'm not on Debian anymore.
Alternatively, just install ruby from source.

George Ogata

jansenh said:
Hi group. More newbie stuff...

I have the above mentioned problem - ruport fails while installing from
gem.... ruby(1.8.3/ubuntu) says "no such file to load -- rdoc/rdoc". I
have tried to gem rdoc as well, --remote.... Then gem says: "could not
find rdoc in repository".

rdoc appears to be the problem, not ruport itself

So far I have :
- apt-get installed ruby-1.8.3
- manually installed rubygems-0.8.11.tgz
- gem install rubygems-update

and my gem is (gem -v) 0.8.11

HELP!

Unfortunately, Debian's distribution of ruby kinda sucks. What
they've done is taken the ruby source -- that thing usually accepted
as "standard ruby" -- and chopped it up into nearly 30 packages.
You've installed only one: ruby. There's been much discussion/cursing
about this here before. I recommend installing all these packages to
save you further grief down the line.

To find them, install the grep-dctrl package and do:

grep-dctrl -s Binary ruby-defaults /var/lib/apt/lists/*Sources

(Note that for this to work, you'll need a deb-src line in
/etc/apt/sources.list . e.g.:

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

Don't forget to run `apt-get update' if you add this line.)