Installing an old version of Java

stud1980

Hi,
I already installed the newest versions of java, which in my case
would be JDK/JRE 1.6.0.
But I'm in a little bit of a problem now, because I need to run a
program that does not support java 1.5+
I have tried installing j2re1.4.2 but my system is still stuck on the
1.6 version. I changed the environment variables in WinXP to point at
the old version, but it did not help.
Maybe there is some other way to do this. After all it's only this
program (ESC/Java) that needs the older version.
/Sam

Joshua Cranmer

Hi,
I already installed the newest versions of java, which in my case
would be JDK/JRE 1.6.0.
But I'm in a little bit of a problem now, because I need to run a
program that does not support java 1.5+
A program does not support Java 1.5+? All Java bytecode is
backwards-compatible, and the source code is almost backwards compatible
(there's an interesting nuance with try/finally that prevents it from
being totally backwards-compatible).
I have tried installing j2re1.4.2 but my system is still stuck on the
1.6 version. I changed the environment variables in WinXP to point at
the old version, but it did not help.
Maybe there is some other way to do this. After all it's only this
program (ESC/Java) that needs the older version.
/Sam

What you really meant to say was that the program is only capable of
parsing/checking pre-Java 1.5 code; if you don't use the new features of
Java 1.5 (and compile with -source 1.4 option), then it shouldn't be a
problem using Java 6.

stud1980

A program does not support Java 1.5+? All Java bytecode is
backwards-compatible, and the source code is almost backwards compatible
(there's an interesting nuance with try/finally that prevents it from
being totally backwards-compatible).

What you really meant to say was that the program is only capable of
parsing/checking pre-Java 1.5 code; if you don't use the new features of
Java 1.5 (and compile with -source 1.4 option), then it shouldn't be a
problem using Java 6.

Ok some semantics was wrong in my first post... but the facts still
stands. The program that I want to run is ESC/Java and it only
executes with Java 1.4
And when I make my own code I still want to compile it in java 1.5 or
1.6 so how do I do this?

Andrew Thompson

...The program that I want to run is ESC/Java

What does that mean?
..and it only executes with Java 1.4
Why?

And when I make my own code I still want to compile it in java 1.5 or
1.6 so how do I do this?

It's ceratinly possible, but I could not be
bothered describing how until you convince
me that your claims are accurate.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/