Installing Borland C++ 3.1

Bevin B.

Hi, my son is taking a beginners programming class using the above.
We were provided with a CD and are trying to install it on our own old
computer - running win98 SE.

We are having a few problems.

Since we are using Win98 do we need to set the path in the
autoexec.bat file?

We can get it to run, but were getting an error message that says
unable to open include file "lvp\string.h" or some other "lvp\*.h".

I noticed there is a directory on the CD called LVP but it did not
transfer this to our computer.
I created a sub directory under BorlandC\Include\LVP and pasted these
files there; is that where they should be? is that what I should have
done?

It seems to work OK now

Also, is the output directory just the BorlandC\bin subdirectory?

Or should it be somewhere else? We were getting messages that it
could't creat a link to the exe file or some such thing.....

I have done no programming and only remember some basic DOS from years
ago (1990) when I was using an old XT laptop so any help would be
greatly appreciated?

Thanks, Bevin

Peter Gordon

We can get it to run, but were getting an error message that says
unable to open include file "lvp\string.h" or some other "lvp\*.h".
Use the help to query for a Config file. It is probably
called bcc32.cfg. In this you can set the path to the library
and Include folders. The config file should reside in the
same folder as the program executable - probably Bin

The config file will look like:
-LC:\Borland\Lib
-IC;\Borland\Include

You will need to include the Bin folder in the PATH so that
it can be exexuted from other folders.

If you are using only the command line compiler,
there is a later free version at:
www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/