Installing erb under W2K

barry

Hello,
I am an absolute nuby at Ruby ( starting it a little over a week
ago ) and got the dbi. I was able to make GUIs and connect to an
Oracle database, making standard calls to create, drop, select and
insert.
How do I insert Ruby into a webpage so that web access would allow
showing and changing database data through the normal HTML forms? The
manual "Pragmatic Programmer" discusses only eRuby. I am using W2K
and Oracle 8i. From my reading it seems that mod_ruby would do what I
want, but it doesn't exist for Windows. Erb seems like a candidate,
and I've found "erb" and "erb.bat" on my system, but I need a tutorial
on setting it up and using it. I also went to
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/erb and tried an install, but the
samples don't work. Can anybody step me through the install, proper
directories for library and rhtml, etc.?

Thanks,
Barry

Osuka Adartse

barry said:
[...]

maybe eruby? check
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/92598

AFAIK mod_ruby can be run on windows...look in the ML archives, I don't
really remember why, but I stuck with eruby instead of mod_ruby.

Randy Lawrence

Osuka said:
maybe eruby? check
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/92598

AFAIK mod_ruby can be run on windows...look in the ML archives, I don't
really remember why, but I stuck with eruby instead of mod_ruby.

For info about mod_ruby and eruby/erb, visit:

http://www.modruby.net

I think mod_ruby and eruby serve different purposes.

mod_ruby embeds a ruby interpreter into Apache so you gain performance
(over plain cgi) and ability to access some of apache internals and
ability to provide handlers.

eruby is used to translate ruby code embedded inside html tags (like
..asp or .jsp). eruby can even be run from the command prompt or shell
if desired.

Also check out these apache/ruby frameworks (there are others too):

cgikit - http://www.spice-of-life.net/cgikit/index_en.html
arrow - http://dev.rubycrafters.com/arrow-manual/whatis.html

And last but not least (www/http dynamic content projects):

http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=92

Randy Lawrence

barry said:
[...]

Not sure which version you installed.

Try this page for the best Windows versions of ruby.

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

More specifically, I'd install this version at the moment:

1.8.2-14_rc3.exe