Installing Python 3.0 no probs running 2.5 at the same time?

cirfu

Can I install 3.0 without breaking 2.5? Meaning does it overwrite some
bindings or something or it just installs 3.0 in a different folder as
a completely separate program?

Cédric Lucantis

Le Thursday 19 June 2008 17:32:10 cirfu, vous avez écrit :
Can I install 3.0 without breaking 2.5? Meaning does it overwrite some
bindings or something or it just installs 3.0 in a different folder as
a completely separate program?

It's OK for any version having different major/minor version numbers (so 2.4 +
2.5 is OK, but _not_ 2.4.2 + 2.4.4). Everything go in different directories,
and a version specific executable is also installed (python2.5,
python3.0...). The main one (python) is just a link to one of them.

Martin v. Löwis

Can I install 3.0 without breaking 2.5? Meaning does it overwrite some
bindings or something or it just installs 3.0 in a different folder as
a completely separate program?

You can install both simultaneously, however, by default, .py will get
associated with the last installation. If you don't want this,
deselect "Register Extension".

Regards,
Martin