installing rails

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by julian, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. julian

    julian Guest

    I am completely new to ruby and to rails, but have brought a book Agile
    Web Development with rails. I have sucessfully installed ruby, that
    went fine. then decided to install rails, so went to cmd prompt on my
    laptop and typed c:/ gem install rails --include dependancies
    then pressed return. the first time i was not connected to the
    internet, and it complained, but then I connected to the internet and
    issued the same command again.
    rails 1.0.0 installed sucessfully as did rake 0.7.0, activesupport
    1.2.5, activerecord 1.13.2, actionpack 1.11.2, actionmailer 1.1.5 and
    actionwebservice.1.0.0,
    then it said installing RDoc documentation for rake-0.7.0...
    installing RDoc documentation for
    activesupport-1.2.5...
    installing RDoc documentation for
    activerecord-1.13.2...
    installing RDoc documentation for
    actionpack-1.11.2...
    installing RDoc documentation for
    actionmailer-1.1.5...
    installing RDoc documentation for
    actionwebservice-1.0.0...
    Localgem file not found: dependancies*.gem
    Attempting remote installation of 'dependancies'
    ERROR: while executing gem ... <Gem::GemNotFoundException>
    Could not find dependancies <> 0> in the respository

    I wonder whats gone wrong, can anyone help me please, is it that the
    connection to the server that failed or is it that something is corrupt
    or missing on the server, or do i just need to do it again?
    What does the error actually mean in plain language please
    If anyone can help I would be very graitfull indeed

    Julian in Reading Berkshire

    julian, Mar 25, 2006

  2. julian

    anne001 Guest

    I would try again -- no great cost there, right,
    then you will know if it installs if you try again.

    Then I would look at your system, --- you don't say what it is -- and I
    would look for alternatives. When I installed rails there were various
    ways of doing it. I looked into locomotive...

    anne001, Mar 25, 2006

  3. julian

    julian Guest

    >From julian
    My operation system is windows XP Home with service pack 2 and it is
    running on a fujitsu siemens amilo pro lap top.
    It looks like it almost did everythink ok, it is just the the bit after
    the Attempting remote installation of 'dependancies' when the error was
    generated, straingely it does not specifically say which dependancies
    it could not find.
    What are the dependancies that it should find and install, are these
    files that the ruby interpreter needs or files that rails needs? Sorry
    if the questions are a bit basic but I am very new to this and do want
    to learn, but it will I am sure take a while.
    Julian

    julian, Mar 25, 2006
  4. julian

    anne001 Guest

    which version of gem do you h ave, is it the latest?

    I found
    http://allaboutruby.wordpress.com/2006/01/09/installing-rails-on-windows-step
    gem install rails --include-dependencies

    (If this command gives you an error, you do not have the latest version
    of gems installed. Run "gem -v", it should be 0.8.10. If it's an
    earlier version, I recommend to reinstall the newest package - see
    beginning of the tutorial).

    anne001, Mar 25, 2006
  5. julian

    julian Guest

    julian, Mar 25, 2006
  6. julian

    anne001 Guest

    also check your spelling of dependencies. The site spelling seems
    different from yours

    anne001, Mar 25, 2006
  7. julian

    julian Guest

    Ok.
    I have had a look at the article mentioned above and I then opened up
    my cmd window, and navigated into the ruby bin directory.
    I think when i issued the command to install rails I spelt dependencies
    with an a after depend
    I also notice that in the article it says to type in
    gem install rails --include-dependencies
    in other words there is a - inbetween the word include and
    dependencies
    Anyway i do not know if it should be:
    gem install rails --include dependencies or
    gem include rails --include-dependencies

    Anyway I have tried both and got this message:
    Attempting local installation of 'rails'
    ERROR:Error installing gem rails[.gem]: No metadata found!

    I assume from this message that the gem program is trying to attempt
    to install rails from a local source i.e. already on my hard disk
    drive.!?

    But I think that I need to get the files to install rails and it
    dependancies from the web site, so
    1. I don't know why I am getting this new error message
    2. and I do not know why it is looking for metadata

    mm. it is confussing I am afraid, but your help is very usefull and
    helpful, and any further idears are v welcome indeed. ta Julian

    julian, Mar 25, 2006
  8. julian

    julian Guest

    spelling dependencies incorrectly was a silly mistake on my part and I
    believe that the correct spelling of the word is dependencies, and
    having used the correct spelling and the line;
    gem install rails --include dependencies
    I am getting the error about
    Attempting local installation of 'rails'
    ERROR: Error installing gem rails[.gem]: No metadata found!
    This is a diffrent error of course, but I do not know what is causing
    it yet..../
    hum.

    julian, Mar 25, 2006
  9. julian

    anne001 Guest

    anne001, Mar 25, 2006
  10. julian

    anne001 Guest

    also
    http://docs.rubygems.org/read/book/3

    RubyGems is a system that aims to provide the following (it is still in
    development):
    A development framework that allows developers working on pure-Ruby
    projects to packages those projects into a single file that contains
    their source files as well as metadata describing the project. This
    metadata includes the name for the project, the author's name, a
    category, a version, a description, and even dependencies the project
    has.
    Also, locale metadata as in: lang=en, country=us, charset=us-ascii
    [HoracioLopez vruz]

    it would be install, include is for ruby programs I would think.

    http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/19
    see if any of this might be your problem. Do you have several ruby
    installed? On the
    mac for example, Ruby comes pre installed.

    how about this? could that help? says it is for windows
    http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl
    how about this
    http://blog.leetsoft.com/articles/2005/06/17/installing-rails-made-easy
    http://home.leetsoft.com/dropbox/private-ruby/install
    It is not up to date, apparently some directory has changed, but it
    shows how
    someone thinks it should work.

    anne001, Mar 25, 2006
  11. julian

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    You could just use Instant Rails:

    http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Mar 25, 2006
  12. julian

    julian Guest

    As always ta very much indeed your help and time and persistance are
    very welcome. I have tried updating the gems and have issued the
    command from C:\ruby\bin
    gem update --system.
    That worked absolutely fine, and now I have some new sparkling gems! it
    says
    Ruby gem system data updated.
    so i will issue gem -v
    and i get 0.8.11 as expected. So I have updated from gems 0.8.10 to
    0.8.11. that is fine.
    The link you mention :
    http://blog.leetsoft.com/articles/2005/06/17/installing-rails-made-easy
    is this for installing ruby and rails on a shell in otherwords on a
    unix opperating system, I think it is unix opperating systems that have
    a shell as such normally used for writting so called shell programs, I
    am conserned that this may not work on MS Windows XP Home?
    Of course as in php and python and perl and many languages we / you
    find many refrences to unix or linux, and I think may be I need to
    understand what's going to work in Unix and what's going to work in
    windows, from the point of view of installation.
    i have only updated from gems 0.8.10 to 0.8.11, and I have ruby version
    1.8.2
    I am very sorry I do not understand what is local metadata and why /
    where would the installation process be looking for it? I am willing to
    try as many things out as it takes but am very nervous of packages that
    install ruby rails, apache, mysql etc etc all at once!?
    I have on my computer already apache configured to use php 4.4.1 and
    mysql 4.1.16 working correctly.
    i notice in the control panel / add /remove programs there is a ruby
    uninstaller, so I guessI could uninstall ruby and start again, but this
    raises questions where are all rthe other programs that support ruby
    like rake, activesupport etc etc, bassically all the other ones that
    were reported as having been installed successfully.
    Thanks for you help receintly very much appreciated the battle to
    install rails goes on.. at the moment.... and will continue untill we
    have a real solution that works. I do not give up!!!

    julian, Mar 25, 2006
  13. julian

    julian Guest

    If I was to use instant rails.rubforge.org/ would this not try to
    install a copy or apache webserver on my computer, and would this not
    conflict with the current apache server living in c:/Program Files.
    Yes I do not think you can have two apache web servers on the same
    computer and expect it to work properly as this would not make any
    sence configuration wise, where would you put you finished web pages in
    which web server?
    surely this would not work would it ??
    Kind regards julian

    julian, Mar 25, 2006
  14. julian

    anne001 Guest

    what about playing with version?
    gem install rails --version=1.0.0
    http://www.nabble.com/Can't-install...-the-book-are-wrong....-t990651.html#a2568356

    When I installed locomotove, it did not replace apache, database etc.
    It was just an application of its own, which acted like rails.

    I agree that it would be better if you could get the normal way
    working, but if instant rails work, at least you would be banging your
    head on rails, not on xp and installers.

    anne001, Mar 25, 2006
  15. julian

    julian Guest

    The answer comes to those who are perssitant and do not give up. I have
    it working apparently, what I did was to use the program inside the
    ruby directory to uninstall ruby. Then I installed ruby again version
    1.8.2, then I updated the gems and got some nice glitering new ones
    from 0.8.10 to 0.8.11, then I tried installing rails once more the same
    line from C:\ruby\bin
    gem install rails --include-dependencies
    and hit return. You must be connected to thre internet when you do
    this cause the gem program goes and installs quite a few things, rails
    rake activesupport active record actionpack actionmailer
    actionwebservice plus documentation for all six, and then after a tence
    wait the curser goes to C:\ruby\bin
    And no messages of error, everything installed from the webserver
    straight down the line.
    The answer is if you do not succced then un install ruby, reinstall
    ruby, update your gems and install rails again.
    Clearly there is some merit in doing the install of rails many times
    until it damn well works...
    Now we move on to how to use ruby and rails, but not just yet as I must
    do some work on my web design course, but thank you very much indeed
    for all your time patience and help
    Julian

    julian, Mar 25, 2006
  16. On Mar 25, 2006, at 12:38 PM, julian wrote:

    > Now we move on to how to use ruby and rails, but not just yet as I
    > must
    > do some work on my web design course, but thank you very much indeed
    > for all your time patience and help

    Glad to hear that you got it working Julian..

    For future Rails-specific problems, I think you'll find that you're
    likely to get a quicker and more accurate response on the Ruby on
    Rails specific mailing list.

    For subscription and posting information, please visit the Rails
    mailing list page at:

    Sincerely,
    Steve

    Stephen Waits, Mar 25, 2006
  17. julian

    anne001 Guest

    good for you! that's the spirit, and thank you for posting back so if
    someone
    else has the problem, they will find how you got out of your fix.

    I prefer
    http://www.nabble.com/Ruby-on-Rails-f13830.html
    you get the latest post on top, how many responses, search ...

    The ruby list is sometimes more responsive than the rails list, but
    folks
    here do prefer that rails question be posted on the rails list.

    anne001, Mar 25, 2006
  18. julian

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    You can tell Instant Rails not to start its copy of apache.

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Mar 25, 2006