Integer Promotion?

Andrew Poelstra

I actually wanted to learn about floating-point representations at one
stage... but it only took one minute of reading through some very
technical documentation to put me off. I guess I just don't have the
"mathematical" kind of brain. Sure, I'm good at maths, but I rather drink
bleach than spend my day on permutations and other multi-syllabic words
of that nature... ; )

People who do a PhD in maths have a unique kind of brain; the kind of
brain that doesn't want to vomit when it comes to topics like
differentiation, integration, etc..

<OT>
http://www.drpaulcarter.com/pcasm/

If you scroll down and print off the 200-page PDF, there's a section or
two on floating-point representation, in pretty much plain English. If
you read the rest, you'll also learn PC Assembly Language, which you
might enjoy.

Admittedly, I have a "math" brain, so what seems clear to me in that
book might not to you.
</OT>

Peter Boettcher

Andrew Poelstra said:
<OT>
http://www.drpaulcarter.com/pcasm/

If you scroll down and print off the 200-page PDF, there's a section or
two on floating-point representation, in pretty much plain English. If
you read the rest, you'll also learn PC Assembly Language, which you
might enjoy.

Admittedly, I have a "math" brain, so what seems clear to me in that
book might not to you.
</OT>

More <OT>:

An article written by Cleve Moler (original MATLAB author) does a nice
job of explaining the basics. It has a bunch of MATLAB-specific
examples, but as a whole should be readable by those who know nothing
about MATLAB.

http://www.mathworks.com/company/newsletters/news_notes/pdf/Fall96Cleve.pdf

</OT>

-Peter