Integer types in embedded systems

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

telnet textnews.cambrium.nl nntp
201 news.cambrium.nl NNRP Service Ready (no posting).
GROUP comp.lang.c
211 85516 123425 208940 comp.lang.c
XHDR reply-to 208533
221 reply-to data follows
208533 (e-mail address removed)

You're my hero! Is there a forum or anything where people play around
with stuff like this? I sent e-mails using telnet a few years ago but
I'd love to try out all different stuff.

Flash Gordon

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote, On 06/05/08 13:41:
Yes, I'm aware.

Not exactly a tough job, especially if you enjoy it.

Tough often means difficult and being better than most programmers is
certainly difficult to achieve.
I can say right now that I'm better than a hell of a lot of
professional programmers.

I suspect you are as yet nowhere near the standard of other professional
programmers.

Both comments could be applied equally well to non-professional programmers.
I've seen code written by professional
programmers

Only a small amount of it. I doubt that you have seen much written for
the avionics or automotive industries.
and also by the likes of programming lecturers,

Which may not be the best for a number of reasons.
and I've
very often immediately seen ways of improving it.

So have I and I have spent a number of years as a professional
programmer. I've also seen stuff that I could not improve and seen stuff
written faster than I could write it.
This is a more a
reflection on their lack of ability rather than my surplus. Also I've
seen many cases of professional programmers using non-portable
techniques in places where not only was there a perfectly suitable
portable technique, but also where the portable technique was faster.
E.g.:

double arr[32];
memset(arr,0,sizeof arr);

versus:

double arr[32] = {0};

So they have more to learn. Now see if you can write a 50,000 line
program. The big test is not if you can do a small amount but if you can
write a program of significant size and complexity. Oh, 50,000 lines is
not large.
I bet the people working on the Linux kernel are way way WAY better
than the people working on Vista's new widget system.

You are comparing apples with green grocers.
You only have to
take one glance at the Win32 API to realise just how crap Windows
programmers are.

Possibly if you mean people who originally designed the Win32 API, not
if you mean people who write SW for Windows.
From looking at their code.

Probably (in my opinion) most professional programmers are working in
areas where you would have no chance of seeing their code.
And interestingly, I'm a programmer as
opposed to an estate agent.

So? How much output of professional programmers have you seen? Have you
reviewed a moderate sized project?

Flash Gordon

Not really,

Well, not always.
telnet textnews.cambrium.nl nntp
201 news.cambrium.nl NNRP Service Ready (no posting).
GROUP comp.lang.c
211 85516 123425 208940 comp.lang.c
XHDR reply-to 208533

XHDR is an extension that may not be supported by all news servers. The
standardised HDR command is not required to work for all header fields
(and may not be implemented by all news servers).

Anyway, this has gone somewhat off topic.