Intel Xeon + Linux + IBM sdk 1.3.1 - getting Segmentation fault

Discussion in 'Java' started by Alex Hunsley, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    I've installed the IBM java sdk 1.3.1 SR5 (exact download was "IBM SDK
    for 32-bit xSeries (Intel compatible)") on an intel Xeon machine running
    Redhat 9.0. When I run "javac" I get "Segmentation fault" (without any
    core dump file produced), but "java" itself seems to work ok on a simple
    text class.
    Can anyone advise on if the above setup has any inherent problems that
    I've missed or why this might be happening?
    Also, what is the advised setup in terms on environment vars? IBMs site
    seemed to be lacking in such derails, instead referring you to sun's site.

    The current env. vars that are relevant to this situation are set as:

    export JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-131
    export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/jre/bin:$PATH
    export CLASSPATH=
    (i.e. classpath set to nothing)

    some additional info in case it helps:

    [root@jura java_5]# uname -a
    Linux jura 2.4.20-8smp #1 SMP Thu Mar 13 17:45:54 EST 2003 i686 i686
    i386 GNU/Linux

    [root@jura java_5]# more /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 15
    model : 2
    model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
    stepping : 7
    cpu MHz : 2784.692
    cache size : 512 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 2
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
    cmov pat p
    se36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
    bogomips : 5557.45

    thanks
    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Alex Hunsley

    Ben_ Guest

    Try disabling HyperThreading.

    Ben_, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Ben_ wrote:

    > Try disabling HyperThreading.

    At what level/how?

    thanks,
    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Alex Hunsley

    Ben_ Guest

    It's a feature of the Xeon Processors
    (http://www.intel.com/products/ht/hyperthreading_more.htm) and you can
    disable it at the BIOS level (if supported, otherwise it is probably
    disabled). Maybe it won't solve your problem, but I know of people getting
    core dumps when HT is enabled.

    Ben_, Nov 3, 2003
  5. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Ben_ wrote:

    > It's a feature of the Xeon Processors
    > (http://www.intel.com/products/ht/hyperthreading_more.htm) and you can
    > disable it at the BIOS level (if supported, otherwise it is probably
    > disabled). Maybe it won't solve your problem, but I know of people getting
    > core dumps when HT is enabled.

    Thanks for that.
    In the meantime I have tried installing the same IBM sdk on another
    machine, a celeron, with exactly the same seg fault when I run "javac".
    (The cpuinfo for the celeron:

    $ more /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 8
    model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
    stepping : 10
    cpu MHz : 897.284
    cache size : 128 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
    cmov pat p
    se36 mmx fxsr sse
    bogomips : 1789.13

    )

    cheers
    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Nov 3, 2003
  6. Alex Hunsley

    Ben_ Guest

    OK, then forget about HT.

    You may want to turn off JIT compiler (-Djava.compiler=NONE on the command
    line starting your app). This also has proven to be the cause of problems.
    If it solves it, then you may want to install the latest revision of IBM
    JVM.

    Ben_, Nov 3, 2003
  7. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Alex Hunsley wrote:

    > Ben_ wrote:
    >
    >> It's a feature of the Xeon Processors
    >> (http://www.intel.com/products/ht/hyperthreading_more.htm) and you can
    >> disable it at the BIOS level (if supported, otherwise it is probably
    >> disabled). Maybe it won't solve your problem, but I know of people
    >> getting
    >> core dumps when HT is enabled.
    >>

    > Thanks for that.
    > In the meantime I have tried installing the same IBM sdk on another
    > machine, a celeron, with exactly the same seg fault when I run "javac".
    > (The cpuinfo for the celeron:
    > [snip]

    hmm, the installed executables don't even look like executables:

    $ gdb javac_g
    GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.3post-0.20021129.18rh)
    [snip]
    executable format: File format not recognized

    So presumably I have the wrong architecture release or something?

    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Nov 3, 2003
  8. Alex Hunsley

    Ben_ Guest

    I'm not Linux-enabled so I can't help much with this...

    Ben_, Nov 3, 2003
  9. On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:14:00 +0000, Alex Hunsley wrote:
    > hmm, the installed executables don't even look like executables:
    >
    > $ gdb javac_g
    > GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.3post-0.20021129.18rh)
    > [snip]
    > executable format: File format not recognized
    >
    > So presumably I have the wrong architecture release or something?

    "file" will identify the file formats.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Nov 3, 2003
  10. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Gordon Beaton wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:14:00 +0000, Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >
    >>hmm, the installed executables don't even look like executables:
    >>
    >>$ gdb javac_g
    >>GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.3post-0.20021129.18rh)
    >>[snip]
    >>executable format: File format not recognized
    >>
    >>So presumably I have the wrong architecture release or something?

    > "file" will identify the file formats.
    >
    > /gordon

    Doh! my bad! the java and javac etc. under bin/ are shell scripts, which
    then run natives exes in /bin/exe...
    still no idea why I get Segmentation fault though.
    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Nov 3, 2003
  11. Alex Hunsley wrote:

    > Gordon Beaton wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:14:00 +0000, Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >>
    >>>hmm, the installed executables don't even look like executables:
    >>>
    >>>$ gdb javac_g
    >>>GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.3post-0.20021129.18rh)
    >>>[snip]
    >>>executable format: File format not recognized
    >>>
    >>>So presumably I have the wrong architecture release or something?

    >> "file" will identify the file formats.
    >>
    >> /gordon
    >>

    > Doh! my bad! the java and javac etc. under bin/ are shell scripts, which
    > then run natives exes in /bin/exe...
    > still no idea why I get Segmentation fault though.
    > alex

    It could have something to do with the fact that Redhat ships with NPTL, a
    new threading library. I once had javac segfaulting when I compiled glibc
    with NPTL support.

    from the Redhat 9.0 release notes:

    o Red Hat Linux 9 includes the Native POSIX Thread Library
    (NPTL), a new implementation of POSIX threads for Linux. This library
    provides performance improvements and increased scalability for i686
    or better processors.

    This thread library is designed to be binary compatible with the old
    LinuxThreads implementation; however, applications that rely on the
    places where the LinuxThreads implementation deviates from the POSIX
    standard will need to be fixed. Notable differences include:
    [....]
    Applications that are known to have problems using NPTL include:

    - Sun JRE prior to version 1.4.1

    - IBM JRE

    --
    Regards,
    Christophe Vanfleteren

    Christophe Vanfleteren, Nov 3, 2003
  12. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Christophe Vanfleteren wrote:

    > Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >

    >>Gordon Beaton wrote:

    >>>"file" will identify the file formats.
    >>>
    >>>/gordon
    >>>

    >>Doh! my bad! the java and javac etc. under bin/ are shell scripts, which
    >>then run natives exes in /bin/exe...
    >>still no idea why I get Segmentation fault though.
    >>alex

    > It could have something to do with the fact that Redhat ships with NPTL, a
    > new threading library. I once had javac segfaulting when I compiled glibc
    > with NPTL support.
    >
    > from the Redhat 9.0 release notes:
    >
    > o Red Hat Linux 9 includes the Native POSIX Thread Library
    > (NPTL), a new implementation of POSIX threads for Linux. This library
    > provides performance improvements and increased scalability for i686
    > or better processors.
    >
    > This thread library is designed to be binary compatible with the old
    > LinuxThreads implementation; however, applications that rely on the
    > places where the LinuxThreads implementation deviates from the POSIX
    > standard will need to be fixed. Notable differences include:
    > [....]
    > Applications that are known to have problems using NPTL include:
    >
    > - Sun JRE prior to version 1.4.1
    >
    > - IBM JRE

    Aha, thankyou for that info, that is very helpful.
    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Nov 3, 2003
  13. Alex Hunsley

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:36:09 +0000, Alex Hunsley
    <> wrote or quoted :

    > When I run "javac" I get "Segmentation fault" (without any
    >core dump file produced), but "java" itself seems to work ok on a simple
    >text class.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javac.exe for some of the option
    switches. Perhaps a different combination will work. Perhaps it is
    just javac.exe by itself that fails. Give it something to compile.

    I am not familiar with Linux, but is there something you can do to run
    the program in a debugging mode that will give you more of a clue?

    Are Xeons just expensive Pentiums or do they have their own native
    instruction set? If so, perhaps there is a switch to get it to use
    the pentium instruction set.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Nov 3, 2003
  14. Alex Hunsley

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:31:54 +0000, Alex Hunsley
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >In the meantime I have tried installing the same IBM sdk on another
    >machine, a celeron, with exactly the same seg fault when I run "javac".
    >(The cpuinfo for the celeron:

    You might want to get a fresh copy of the JDK. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Nov 3, 2003
  15. In article <>, Alex Hunsley wrote:
    > I've installed the IBM java sdk 1.3.1 SR5 (exact download was "IBM SDK
    > for 32-bit xSeries (Intel compatible)") on an intel Xeon machine running
    > Redhat 9.0. When I run "javac" I get "Segmentation fault" (without any
    > core dump file produced), but "java" itself seems to work ok on a simple
    > text class.
    > Can anyone advise on if the above setup has any inherent problems that
    > I've missed or why this might be happening?
    > Also, what is the advised setup in terms on environment vars? IBMs site
    > seemed to be lacking in such derails, instead referring you to sun's site.
    >
    > The current env. vars that are relevant to this situation are set as:
    >

    > export JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-131
    > export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/jre/bin:$PATH
    > export CLASSPATH=
    > (i.e. classpath set to nothing)
    >

    > some additional info in case it helps:

    Redhat now ships the NPTL , which means it now has a pthreads conformant
    threading library. The old java verson were built to use the LinuxThread
    library, and did several ugly thinks to work around LinuxThreads.
    The newer versions (1.4.x iirc) should handle NTPL, the old one does not.
    Force the java vm to use LinuxThreads:

    LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.18 java whatever

    or e.g
    LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.18 javac whatever.java
    --
    Nils Olav Selåsdal <>
    System Developer, UtelSystems a/s

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nils_O=2E_Sel=E5sdal?=, Nov 4, 2003
  16. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:

    > In article <>, Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >
    >>I've installed the IBM java sdk 1.3.1 SR5 (exact download was "IBM SDK
    >>for 32-bit xSeries (Intel compatible)") on an intel Xeon machine running
    >>Redhat 9.0. When I run "javac" I get "Segmentation fault" (without any
    >>core dump file produced), but "java" itself seems to work ok on a simple
    >>text class.
    >>Can anyone advise on if the above setup has any inherent problems that
    >>I've missed or why this might be happening?
    >>Also, what is the advised setup in terms on environment vars? IBMs site
    >>seemed to be lacking in such derails, instead referring you to sun's site.
    >>
    >>The current env. vars that are relevant to this situation are set as:
    >>

    >>export JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-131
    >>export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/jre/bin:$PATH
    >>export CLASSPATH=
    >>(i.e. classpath set to nothing)
    >>

    >>some additional info in case it helps:
    >>

    > Redhat now ships the NPTL , which means it now has a pthreads conformant
    > threading library. The old java verson were built to use the LinuxThread
    > library, and did several ugly thinks to work around LinuxThreads.
    > The newer versions (1.4.x iirc) should handle NTPL, the old one does not.
    > Force the java vm to use LinuxThreads:
    >
    > LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.18 java whatever
    >
    > or e.g
    > LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.18 javac whatever.java

    I presume you mean set the above value and then call javac?
    I've tried this and I still get a segmentation fault...

    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Nov 4, 2003
  17. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Gibson Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:36:09 +0000, Alex Hunsley
    > <> wrote or quoted :
    >
    > > When I run "javac" I get "Segmentation fault" (without any
    > >core dump file produced), but "java" itself seems to work ok on a simple
    > >text class.

    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javac.exe for some of the option
    > switches. Perhaps a different combination will work. Perhaps it is
    > just javac.exe by itself that fails. Give it something to compile.
    >
    > I am not familiar with Linux, but is there something you can do to run
    > the program in a debugging mode that will give you more of a clue?
    >
    > Are Xeons just expensive Pentiums or do they have their own native
    > instruction set? If so, perhaps there is a switch to get it to use
    > the pentium instruction set.

    smp capable p4's with extra cache

    Alex Gibson, Nov 5, 2003
  18. Alex Hunsley

    tims Guest

    Alex Hunsley <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, Alex Hunsley wrote:
    > >
    > >>I've installed the IBM java sdk 1.3.1 SR5 (exact download was "IBM SDK
    > >>for 32-bit xSeries (Intel compatible)") on an intel Xeon machine running
    > >>Redhat 9.0. When I run "javac" I get "Segmentation fault" (without any
    > >>core dump file produced), but "java" itself seems to work ok on a simple
    > >>text class.
    > >>Can anyone advise on if the above setup has any inherent problems that
    > >>I've missed or why this might be happening?
    > >>Also, what is the advised setup in terms on environment vars? IBMs site
    > >>seemed to be lacking in such derails, instead referring you to sun's site.
    > >>
    > >>The current env. vars that are relevant to this situation are set as:
    > >>

    > >>export JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-131
    > >>export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/jre/bin:$PATH
    > >>export CLASSPATH=
    > >>(i.e. classpath set to nothing)
    > >>

    > >>some additional info in case it helps:
    > >>

    > > Redhat now ships the NPTL , which means it now has a pthreads conformant
    > > threading library. The old java verson were built to use the LinuxThread
    > > library, and did several ugly thinks to work around LinuxThreads.
    > > The newer versions (1.4.x iirc) should handle NTPL, the old one does not.
    > > Force the java vm to use LinuxThreads:
    > >
    > > LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.18 java whatever
    > >
    > > or e.g
    > > LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.18 javac whatever.java

    > I presume you mean set the above value and then call javac?
    > I've tried this and I still get a segmentation fault...
    >
    > alex

    I got it to work by setting the Kernel version back further:

    LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 java -version

    This command runs fine on Red Hat Linux 9. It used to seg fault
    before. Give it a shot.

    later,

    tims

    tims, Nov 6, 2003