Interesting discussions

Discussion in 'C++' started by Paul, Apr 19, 2011.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    <quote ref=http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/glossary.html>
    "char* - pointer to a char or an array of char."
    </quote>

    Many people have said this is sloppy, or innacurate or incorrect.

    I wonder if those people would be so fast to raise their hand and question
    BS in a lecture room. They would porbably sit quietly in the back and keep
    hush, perhaps thinking to themsleves they secretly know he is incorrect ,
    innaccurate or sloppy.

    This is one good thing about the internet as it allows true freedom of
    speech.
    Personally I would question BS, in a respectfull way, if i thought his
    terminology was innaccurate. I think many others would not for fear of
    making themsleves appear foolish or fear of insulting him or something like
    that.

    Whether this is sloppy terminology or not is being discussed in other
    threads, I just find it interesting to think what BS's response would be if
    you suggested to him somthing like:

    Hello Mr BS. Is that terminology correct or is it just a loose term that is
    not really accurate in a techinical sense.

    I think he would probably say something along the lines of ,,,, To be more
    technically precise it points to an nth element of the array, but it does
    also point to the array.

    What are your views on what his reply might be to such a question being
    raised in a lecture room?

    Paul, Apr 19, 2011

  2. Paul

    Goran Guest

    On Apr 19, 1:16 pm, "Paul" <> wrote:
    > <quote ref=http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/glossary.html>
    > "char* - pointer to a char or an array of char."
    > </quote>
    >
    > Many people have said this is sloppy, or innacurate or incorrect.
    >
    > I wonder if those people would be so fast to raise their hand and question
    > BS in a lecture room. They would porbably sit quietly in the back and keep
    > hush, perhaps thinking to themsleves they secretly know he is incorrect ,
    > innaccurate or sloppy.
    >
    > This is one good thing about the internet as it allows true freedom of
    > speech.
    > Personally I would question BS, in a respectfull way, if i thought his
    > terminology was innaccurate. I think many others would not for fear of
    > making themsleves appear foolish or fear of insulting him or something like
    > that.
    >
    > Whether this is sloppy terminology or not is being discussed in other
    > threads, I just find it interesting to think what BS's response would be if
    > you suggested to him somthing like:
    >
    > Hello Mr BS. Is that terminology correct or is it just a loose term that is
    > not really accurate in a techinical sense.
    >
    > I think he would probably say something along the lines of ,,,, To be more
    > technically precise it points to an nth element of the array, but it does
    > also point to the array.
    >
    > What are your views on what his reply might be to such a question being
    > raised in a lecture room?

    The guy being a true expert and having no ax to grind, I believe he
    would agree without a blink. E.g. "Yeah, technically, T* is a pointer
    to the first element of an array; but for expedience, we simply say
    pointer to the array".

    Why d'you ask, do you think he's stupid or something?

    Goran.

    P.S. could you please take some more care of your typing? In this post
    only, you had e.g. innacurate - inaccurate, porbably - probably,
    themsleves - themselves, somthing - something, techinical - technical.
    English is my second/third language, and even I manage better than
    you. Constantly failing to spell pretty common words correctly like
    that doesn't help in taking you seriously.

    Goran, Apr 19, 2011

  3. Paul

    gwowen Guest

    Question:

    "char* - pointer to a char or an array of char."

    Doesn't that mean the same as

    "char* - an array of char or pointer to a char"?

    Answer:
    It might do, easily. It might also mean the same as
    "char* - pointer to a char or pointer to an array of char"

    When spoken, which alternative is meant may be clear from vocal
    cadence. Written down, the grouping is ambiguous. Anyone trying to
    draw unambigous conclusions from it is a fool.

    gwowen, Apr 19, 2011
  4. Paul

    Ian Collins Guest

    On 04/20/11 12:59 AM, Goran wrote:

    > P.S. could you please take some more care of your typing? In this post
    > only, you had e.g. innacurate - inaccurate, porbably - probably,
    > themsleves - themselves, somthing - something, techinical - technical.
    > English is my second/third language, and even I manage better than
    > you. Constantly failing to spell pretty common words correctly like
    > that doesn't help in taking you seriously.

    But it may explain his problems with reading comprehension.

    --
    Ian Collins

    Ian Collins, Apr 19, 2011
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "Goran" <> wrote in message
    On Apr 19, 1:16 pm, "Paul" <> wrote:
    > <quote ref=http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/glossary.html>
    > "char* - pointer to a char or an array of char."
    > </quote>
    >
    > Many people have said this is sloppy, or innacurate or incorrect.
    >
    > I wonder if those people would be so fast to raise their hand and question
    > BS in a lecture room. They would porbably sit quietly in the back and keep
    > hush, perhaps thinking to themsleves they secretly know he is incorrect ,
    > innaccurate or sloppy.
    >
    > This is one good thing about the internet as it allows true freedom of
    > speech.
    > Personally I would question BS, in a respectfull way, if i thought his
    > terminology was innaccurate. I think many others would not for fear of
    > making themsleves appear foolish or fear of insulting him or something
    > like
    > that.
    >
    > Whether this is sloppy terminology or not is being discussed in other
    > threads, I just find it interesting to think what BS's response would be
    > if
    > you suggested to him somthing like:
    >
    > Hello Mr BS. Is that terminology correct or is it just a loose term that
    > is
    > not really accurate in a techinical sense.
    >
    > I think he would probably say something along the lines of ,,,, To be more
    > technically precise it points to an nth element of the array, but it does
    > also point to the array.
    >
    > What are your views on what his reply might be to such a question being
    > raised in a lecture room?

    The guy being a true expert and having no ax to grind, I believe he
    would agree without a blink. E.g. "Yeah, technically, T* is a pointer
    to the first element of an array; but for expedience, we simply say
    pointer to the array".

    Why d'you ask, do you think he's stupid or something?

    Goran.

    P.S. could you please take some more care of your typing? In this post
    only, you had e.g. innacurate - inaccurate, porbably - probably,
    themsleves - themselves, somthing - something, techinical - technical.
    English is my second/third language, and even I manage better than
    you. Constantly failing to spell pretty common words correctly like
    that doesn't help in taking you seriously.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Thx yuor view is taken into consideation

    DO you think I am astupid or you are stupid or BS is stupid or anyone is
    stupid?
    ..

    Paul, Apr 19, 2011
  6. Am 19.04.2011 13:59, schrieb cg_chas:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 12:16:40 +0100, "Paul"<> wrote:
    >
    >>I wonder if those people would be so fast to raise their hand and question
    >>BS in a lecture room. They would porbably sit quietly in the back and keep
    >>hush, perhaps thinking to themsleves they secretly know he is incorrect ,
    >>innaccurate or sloppy.

    > [..]
    > Given the fictitious case of this being a lecure room, you must fancy yourself
    > as the lecturer which gives me my very first laugh of the day. :)

    Who said Paul was the lecturer?

    > And whether or not you are the teacher in your scenario, I think some of "those
    > people" who analogously have "raised there hands" have also pointed out simply,

    -----

    Mr. "English was one of my majors, and now I need to lecture you on how
    the english language works" does not get it right. Don't tell me it's a
    typo. First I though you put it in quotes because Paul did not get it
    right, but he did.

    Good laugh.

    Peter

    Peter Remmers, Apr 20, 2011
  7. Am 19.04.2011 14:01, schrieb cg_chas:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 07:59:20 -0400, cg_chas<> wrote:
    >
    > [..]
    >>Perhaps a better question is, "If somebody "in the lecture room" asked a Yes or
    >>No question, how many do you think would bother raising there hand and fail to

    > oops typo should say "their hand" (don't want to rouse the pedants)

    Too late... Clicked the send button and then read this.

    Such is life.

    Anyway, It is hard to accept that this can actually be a typo.

    Call me a pedant.

    Peter

    Peter Remmers, Apr 20, 2011
  8. Paul

    Goran Guest

    On Apr 19, 10:45 pm, "Paul" <> wrote:
    > "Goran" <> wrote in message

    > On Apr 19, 1:16 pm, "Paul" <> wrote:

    > > <quote ref=http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/glossary.html>
    > > "char* - pointer to a char or an array of char."
    > > </quote>

    > > Many people have said this is sloppy, or innacurate or incorrect.

    > > I wonder if those people would be so fast to raise their hand and question
    > > BS in a lecture room. They would porbably sit quietly in the back and keep
    > > hush, perhaps thinking to themsleves they secretly know he is incorrect,
    > > innaccurate or sloppy.

    > > This is one good thing about the internet as it allows true freedom of
    > > speech.
    > > Personally I would question BS, in a respectfull way, if i thought his
    > > terminology was innaccurate. I think many others would not for fear of
    > > making themsleves appear foolish or fear of insulting him or something
    > > like
    > > that.

    > > Whether this is sloppy terminology or not is being discussed in other
    > > threads, I just find it interesting to think what BS's response would be
    > > if
    > > you suggested to him somthing like:

    > > Hello Mr BS. Is that terminology correct or is it just a loose term that
    > > is
    > > not really accurate in a techinical sense.

    > > I think he would probably say something along the lines of ,,,, To be more
    > > technically precise it points to an nth element of the array, but it does
    > > also point to the array.

    > > What are your views on what his reply might be to such a question being
    > > raised in a lecture room?

    > The guy being a true expert and having no ax to grind, I believe he
    > would agree without a blink. E.g. "Yeah, technically, T* is a pointer
    > to the first element of an array; but for expedience, we simply say
    > pointer to the array".
    >
    > Why d'you ask, do you think he's stupid or something?
    >
    > Goran.
    >
    > P.S. could you please take some more care of your typing? In this post
    > only, you had e.g. innacurate - inaccurate,  porbably - probably,
    > themsleves - themselves, somthing - something, techinical - technical.
    > English is my second/third language, and even I manage better than
    > you. Constantly failing to spell pretty common words correctly like
    > that doesn't help in taking you seriously.
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >
    > Thx yuor view is taken into consideation
    >
    > DO you think I am astupid or you are stupid or BS is stupid or anyone is
    > stupid?
    > .

    No.

    Goran, Apr 21, 2011