interesting take on python OO

7

7stud

http://www.evolt.org/article/OO_programming_the_Python_way/18/449/

-----
The last article gives you the absolute basics of using Python. This
time, we'll do the OO side of Python. Yes, Python: a true object-
oriented language with classes, inheritance and all.

Ok, my OO background comes from the usual suspects of OO language, C+
+, Java and Object Pascal (Delphi). So I have this preconceived idea
about what Python OO should be. When I discover how OO is implemented
in Python, my first reaction was: "What the <expletive> is this
s#~! ?" My idealism about OO is offended by what Python does with
object and classes. It offers a new perspective on what can be done
with classes and object. Over time Python has grown on me, and now I
can really appreciate what it can do. So if you have the same reaction
as mine, keep reading. It will grow on you as well.

Bruno Desthuilliers

7stud a écrit :
[...]

<aol />

FWIW, I still don't get why people insist on believing that C++ and Java
have anything to do with OO !-)

(and yes, it's friday...)

A.T.Hofkamp

FWIW, I still don't get why people insist on believing that C++ and Java
have anything to do with OO !-)

(and yes, it's friday...)

Good marketing.

Albert

Josiah Carlson

7stud said:

I would have to agree. I could spend time talking about how bad that
article was, but instead I will offer useful advice for the new Python
programmer.

For new users of Python and/or object-oriented programming, stick with
the Python Tutorial included with the Python distribution, and/or check
out http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCS/python/english/ . There are some
pieces that were obviously translated directly from Java, but it has a
lot of good stuff.

- Josiah