Interfacing my chess client with GNU chess using python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Varun Hiremath, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. Hello,
    I have written a chess client using python which is a graphic
    interface to play chess. It is at present a two player version,
    players move their peices by clicking two squares on the board as
    in any other chess clients.
    Now i want to interface my program with the already available
    gnuchess program. Basically i want to feed the user input to the
    gnuchess and get the output and then display in my GUI. I have read
    about Popen but i couldn't figure out how to do it. Is there any
    other better ways of doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

    --
    -----8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----
    Varun Hiremath
    Varun Hiremath, Sep 18, 2006

  2. Varun Hiremath

    Will McGugan Guest

    Varun Hiremath wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have written a chess client using python which is a graphic
    > interface to play chess. It is at present a two player version,
    > players move their peices by clicking two squares on the board as
    > in any other chess clients.
    > Now i want to interface my program with the already available
    > gnuchess program. Basically i want to feed the user input to the
    > gnuchess and get the output and then display in my GUI. I have read
    > about Popen but i couldn't figure out how to do it. Is there any
    > other better ways of doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

    The subprocess module may help you...

    http://docs.python.org/dev/lib/module-subprocess.html

    Will McGugan
    --