Intermittent “Circular file references are not allowedâ€

Paul Hale

I am working on a large project using VS2008 and the 3.5 Framework.
Occasionally (and it seems to becoming more frequent) I get the dreaded
“Circular file references are not allowed†error when building my project. I
know this is related to user controls that reference each other. I have spent
many hours making sure that UC’s don’t reference back to each other and as
far as I can tell they don’t.

The trick I have been using to circumnavigate the error is to simply build
the project again. I normally find that on the 3rd or 4th build the project
builds fine with no errors. I also sometimes insert a blank line in my code
behind file to try and trick the compiler into thinking that the code has
changed and this sometimes seems to work!?!

This is all very disconcerting. I would prefer it if when I got a “Circular
file references are not allowed†error the project would not build full stop
as this would make it easier to try and find the problem. Im aware of turning
batch compiling off but would rather not do this as to tell the truth I don’t
fully understand what batch compiling is (yes I have Goggled it and am still
none the wiser).

Has anybody had similar problems? Can anybody give me any advice on how I
can fix this problem please?

Paul Hale

Thanks for your response Eliyahu.

I do have a couple of controls in different folders. I have now moved all of
my controls into a single folder above the root being "/UserControls". Have
tried a couple of builds and so far so good. Will monitor and post back here
with results.

Thanks again.

Eliyahu Goldin said:
This error also happens when you reference controls across different
folders. Can you put all controls in the same folder?

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

Paul Hale said:
[...]

Moving all User Controls to a single directory has solved my problem - Thanks
Eliyahu.

That said, I still got one Circular ref error yesterday, rebuilt again and
the build was fine? Far far better than the amount of errors I was originally
getting on builds before I consilidated by UC's though :)

Paul Hale said:
[...]

Eliyahu Goldin

Thanks for letting us know, Paul.

--

Eliyahu Goldin said:
[...]

Oh no. It's back! I applied VS2008 SP1 and .NET3.5 SP1 yesterday and ever
since I have been getting the dreaded "Circular file refernces are not
allowed" error.

I have treble checked and all my User Controls are in a single directory.
None of them reference each other anywhere.

The only way I can get round this is to insert a blank line in a codebehind
file and build. Then sometimes (roughly 1 time out of 6 builds) the build
completes successfully. This is extremely frustrating and is affecting my
productivity.

Does anybody have any suggestions I can try? This is related to applying SP1
as I have not modified any code since applying.

:

[...]

Juan T. Llibre

I don't have a specific suggestion except to file a bug at Connect.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback