Intermittent failures of Web Services calls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Bruce, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I am developing a .NET 2.0 WinForms client application which communicates
    with a Windows 2003 Server (actually SBS 2003, running ISA Server 2004) via
    Web Services calls. The client application works fine within our firewall.
    But when I access the server from outside the firewall, I get rare and
    intermittent failures on the Web Services calls to the server.

    I wrapped the Web Services calls in try/catch and watched the exceptions.
    The Exception type is System.Net.WebException. The Exception.Message value
    for most of the failing calls contains "HTTP 403". On a very rare instance,
    I saw a different error involving "Error Code 10061" which looks
    suspiciously like an ISA server error.

    The full text of each of these errors is appended below.

    What are possible causes of intermittent failures like this?

    Would anyone with ISA expertise be able to assess whether ISA settings could
    be at fault, and if so what settings should I modify?

    Thanks, Bruce

    ------ This exception happens most often -------------------

    Exception: [The request failed with HTTP status 403: Forbidden ( The server
    denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). Contact the server
    administrator. ).]

    ------- This exception happens rarely ----------------------

    Client found response content type of 'text/html', but expected 'text/xml'.
    The request failed with the error message:

    <HTML dir=ltr><HEAD><TITLE>The page cannot be displayed</TITLE>

    <STYLE id=L_10061r_1>A:link {

    FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana; COLOR: #ff0000

    }

    A:visited {

    FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana; COLOR: #4e4e4e

    }

    </STYLE>

    <META content=NOINDEX name=ROBOTS>

    <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text-html; charset=UTF-8">

    <META content="MSHTML 5.50.4522.1800" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>

    <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>

    <TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=3 width=410>

    <TBODY>

    <TR>

    <TD vAlign=center align=left width=360>

    <H1 id=L_10061r_2 style="FONT: 13pt/15pt verdana; COLOR: #000000"><ID
    id=L_10061r_3><!--Problem-->The page cannot be displayed

    </ID></H1></TD></TR>

    <TR>

    <TD width=400 colSpan=2><FONT id=L_10061r_4

    style="FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana; COLOR: #000000"><ID
    id=L_10061r_5><B>Explanation: </B>The Web server refused the connection,
    possibly because a service on the upstream server is
    inactive.</ID></FONT></TD></TR>

    <TR>

    <TD width=400 colSpan=2><FONT id=L_10061r_6

    style="FONT: 8pt/11pt verdana; COLOR: #000000">

    <HR color=#c0c0c0 noShade>

    <P id=L_10061r_7><B>Try the following:</B></P>

    <UL>

    <LI id=L_10061r_8><B>Refresh page:</B> Search for the page again by
    clicking the Refresh button. The timeout may have occurred due to Internet
    congestion.

    <LI id=L_10061r_9><B>Check spelling:</B> Check that you typed the Web page
    address correctly. The address may have been mistyped.

    <LI id=L_10061r_10><B>Access from a link:</B> If there is a link to the page
    you are looking for, try accessing the page from that link.

    <LI id=L_10061r_11><B>Contact website:</B> You may want to contact the
    website administrator to make sure the Web page still exists. You can do
    this by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the website home
    page.

    </UL>

    <HR color=#c0c0c0 noShade>

    <P id=L_10061r_12>Technical Information (for support personnel)</P>

    <UL>

    <LI id=L_10061r_13>Error Code 10061: Connection refused

    <LI id=L_10061r_14>Background: When the gateway or proxy server contacted
    the upstream (Web) server, the connection was refused. This usually results
    from trying to connect to a service that is inactive on the upstream server.

    </UL></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></BODY></HTML>

    --.

    Bruce, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Somebody else who had this problem reported it as a router (hardware) problem:

    http://www.smallbizserver.net/Forum/tabid/53/forumid/6/postid/15339/view/topic/Default.aspx

    But I doubt that post because it sure looks like other people also have
    faced this problem -
    http://forums.isaserver.org/m_2002009681/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#2002009681 and
    the problem is always created when there is ISA 2004 around.

    So I suspect it is some ISA setting that you are looking for and suggest
    posting this in the ISA forums.

    Regards,
    Pandurang
    --
    blog: www.thinkingMS.com/pandurang

    Pandurang Nayak, Mar 22, 2006

  3. Thanks for Pandurang's input.

    Hi Bruce,

    As you mentioned, the probem occurs randomly, so I think it is likely
    something incorrect with our server-side webservice code or the client-side
    webservice proxy.

    The error message "403" or the error 10061 are all related to some
    connection or access problem to the target the resource. Would you help me
    gathe the following information:

    1. What's the security configuration(authentication) for the webservice in
    the IIS on the server machine?

    2. Is there any authentication setting on the ISA server/firewall against
    the http channel?

    In addition, generally we can use some trace tools to capture the
    webservice SOAP message at client-side or server-side(such as tcptrace or
    soaptoolkit), this can help us get the underlying message transmitting on
    the http layer. Also, on the server machine, you can have a look at the IIS
    log to see whether there is any error entries for the problem webservice
    from our clients(on the other side of the ISA firewall).

    Please feel free to post here if you have anyother finding. Meanwhile, I'll
    also discuss this with some ISA engineers to see whether there is anything
    we can check on ISA side.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    that others may

    learn and benefit from your issue.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 23, 2006
  4. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Steven,

    Thanks for follow-up.

    As for your questions:

    1) For authentication in IIS, I am using whatever is default (I think this
    is called anonymous.)

    2) As for ISA, the settings are generally "out of the box" defaults, other
    that opening a few ports for some applications. There is no authentication
    that I know of. I had to open the firewall to allow the web server to serve
    HTTP. (I added a "firewall policy" item to "allow", "from anywhere",
    "HTTP", "port 80", etc.)

    The tools such as tcptrace or soaptoolkit sound interesting. I'll take a
    look at those soon. If there is a good URL for this topic, I'd appreciate
    that.

    There is one important data point that I didn't mention in my first post. I
    do not think the application never exhibited this behavior until I upgraded
    from ISA from ISA 2000 to ISA 2004 (as a part of SBS SP1) about three months
    ago. Because I had been developing/debugging so many other issues during
    that time, it took me a long time to narrow down the factors to that
    conclusion. This may be a strong indicator that I have a configuration
    problem with ISA. .

    What do you think?

    Thanks, Bruce

    Bruce, Mar 23, 2006
  5. Thank you for the response Bruce,

    Since your webservice is anonymous access allowed in IIS, I don't think the
    problem is related to the server-side security setting. Also, since not
    quite familiar with ISA configuration, I've also discussed this with our
    ISA engineers, they have confirmed that the two error messages

    "403" or the error 10061 are aiming the same problem(just the different
    error representation from different transport layer). It seems that
    something is incorrectly corrupted of the webservice request. For example,
    the url is incorrectly redirected... The ISA guys also suggest we have a
    check in the ISA server's log to see whether there is any clues in it.

    In addition, as for the trace tools(tcptrace or soap toolkit), you can find
    the SOAP toolkit 3.0 from the following address:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C943C0DD-CEEC-4088-
    9753-86F052EC8450&displaylang=en

    What we need is just the "Trace Utility" tool in it, do not care about
    other components in it. Also, you can use any other network trace tools as
    you like.

    Hope this also helps,

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 24, 2006
  6. Hi Bruce,

    Have you got any further progress on this issue? As for the ISA server side
    setting, you can also post in the ISA specific newsgroups. And I've
    discussed with our ISA guys , they can help you have a look at the ISA log
    files if necessary. Please feel free to let me know if there's anything
    else we can help.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 28, 2006
  7. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Hi Steven,

    Thanks for all your help on this.

    You were right about ISA. That was the source of the problem (as well as
    the source of my WSDL problem in a later posting.) Yesterday, we got some
    help on our ISA 2004 configuration on the server in question, and the
    results are encouraging. Since this problem was intermittent, we need to do
    more testing before we can be sure that the problem is 100% solved. But I
    suspect it is solved.

    Thanks,
    -- Bruce

    Bruce, Mar 29, 2006
  8. Thanks for your followup Bruce,

    This is good news. Hope you'll soon resolve the problem completely.
    Meanwhile, if there is any other webservice developing issue we can help,

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Mar 29, 2006
  9. Bruce

    Amr Elsheikh Guest

    I've the same problem, I wonder if you can share us with the final solution
    or changes in ISA 2004 settings to solve this problem.
    --
    Amr Elsheikh

    Amr Elsheikh, Jun 13, 2006