    knowledge ?

    what aspect of the candidate is given prime importance ?

    , Feb 3, 2008

  2. Ian Collins Guest

    wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > how many of you have done the job of interviewer for selecting a C
    > programmer(fresh out of college) ?
    >
    > what are the main aspects that you guys look at ?

    I used to handle most of the graduate recruitment for a medium sized
    company (we took up to 20 graduates a year), so I have probably
    interviewed more than most...

    I was (and still am) mainly interested in how a graduate thinks and how
    they will fit in. I tend to ask questions I don't expect them to able
    able to answer and nudge them towards the answer to see how they get
    there. As part of an interview, I will get them to spend some time with
    the team, to see how they work with others.

    > Is it technical skills
    > OR
    > just soft skills and personality coupled with meager technical
    > knowledge ?

    Mainly the latter. I tend to base my technical appraisal on their
    explanation of a project they have completed.

    > what aspect of the candidate is given prime importance ?

    Their ability to fit in.

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, Feb 3, 2008

  3. On one contract, I was asked to help design a set of interview questions.
    The person being interviewed would be told, "Even the guys who taught Bill
    Gates wouldn't have all the answers."

    The responses were grades as:

    1. Knew the answer.
    2. Didn't know the answer but had a pretty good idea on what would be
    needed or where to find it.
    3. Didn't know the answer and said so.
    4. Tried to fake it.

    Answers of types 1 and 2 were good candidates for hire.
    Type 3 was a good possibility for hire as long as there were enough answers
    of types 1 and 2. The person was willing to admit he/she didn't know
    everything.

    Any answers of type 4 were immediately disqualified.

    Gene Pallat

    Orion Data Systems
    Orion Forensics

    Eugene A. Pallat, Feb 3, 2008
  4. Tim Smith Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > what aspect of the candidate is given prime importance ?

    Last time I was involved in interviewing people, when we looked back on
    all the people we'd hired, and which ones turned out to be good and
    which ones turned out not so good, the one thing that best correlated
    with goodness, it turned out, was a group of questions we asked just to
    get some personality information and break the ice before getting into
    tough technical questions: read any good books lately? How much do you
    read?

    I have no idea why, but everyone who turned out good was a heavy reader.
    And not just the stereotypical science fiction and fantasy...they tended
    to read a variety of genres of fiction, and also non-fiction. Many had
    a book with them, in case they had to wait for their interview.

    It's been a few years, so I may be misremembering, but I think this went
    the other way, too. Among the bad people, none were heavy readers.

    --
    --Tim Smith

    Tim Smith, Feb 4, 2008

    On Feb 3, 12:45 pm, Ian Collins <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Dear all,

    > > how many of you have done the job of interviewer for selecting a C
    > > programmer(fresh out of college) ?

    > > what are the main aspects that you guys look at ?

    > I used to handle most of the graduate recruitment for a medium sized
    > company (we took up to 20 graduates a year), so I have probably
    > interviewed more than most...
    >
    > I was (and still am) mainly interested in how a graduate thinks and how
    > they will fit in. I tend to ask questions I don't expect them to able
    > able to answer and nudge them towards the answer to see how they get
    > there. As part of an interview, I will get them to spend some time with
    > the team, to see how they work with others.
    >
    > > Is it technical skills
    > > OR
    > > just soft skills and personality coupled with meager technical
    > > knowledge ?

    > Mainly the latter. I tend to base my technical appraisal on their
    > explanation of a project they have completed.
    >
    > > what aspect of the candidate is given prime importance ?

    > Their ability to fit in.
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins.

    Then why bother about getting a computer science degree if technical
    skills are not that relevant ?

    Peter van der linden in his book expert C programming says that
    the talent and skill required to do systems programming is so rare
    that technical skill/knowledge becomes the single most criteria for
    selection

    , Feb 4, 2008
  6. Ian Collins Guest

    wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 12:45 pm, Ian Collins <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> what aspect of the candidate is given prime importance ?

    >> Their ability to fit in.

    *Please* don't quote signatures.

    > Then why bother about getting a computer science degree if technical
    > skills are not that relevant ?

    A good degree course teaches one how to learn. The possession of a good
    degree shows that the candidate has learned how to think.

    A degree is used as an initial screen of applicants, every one that gets
    interviewed has one, so it comes down the the person. Very few
    employers want to employ a brilliant sociopath.

    > Peter van der linden in his book expert C programming says that
    > the talent and skill required to do systems programming is so rare
    > that technical skill/knowledge becomes the single most criteria for
    > selection

    That is more of an issue for the experienced programmer. It is a rare
    thing for a new graduate to have the knowledge, the job of the
    interviewer is to spot the talent, which is why I ask questions the
    candidate has to think through to answer.

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, Feb 4, 2008
  7. Richard Guest

    Ian Collins <> writes:

    > wrote:

    >>> Their ability to fit in.
    >>>

    > *Please* don't quote signatures.
    >>
    >> Then why bother about getting a computer science degree if technical
    >> skills are not that relevant ?
    >>

    > A good degree course teaches one how to learn. The possession of a good
    > degree shows that the candidate has learned how to think.
    >
    > A degree is used as an initial screen of applicants, every one that gets
    > interviewed has one, so it comes down the the person. Very few
    > employers want to employ a brilliant sociopath.
    >
    >> Peter van der linden in his book expert C programming says that
    >> the talent and skill required to do systems programming is so rare
    >> that technical skill/knowledge becomes the single most criteria for
    >> selection

    > That is more of an issue for the experienced programmer. It is a rare
    > thing for a new graduate to have the knowledge, the job of the
    > interviewer is to spot the talent, which is why I ask questions the
    > candidate has to think through to answer.

    One of the most sensible and accurate posts I have read here in c.l.c

    Agreed 100%.

    It would be fair to say that few, if any, of the c.l.c clique would pass
    any interviews I have been involved in during the past 20 years of
    technical projects. They would be branded as antisocial misfits who
    would tend to fragment any team to which they were assigned.

    Richard, Feb 4, 2008

    On Feb 5, 1:24 am, Richard <> wrote:
    > Ian Collins <> writes:
    > > wrote:

    > > *Please* don't quote signatures.

    > >> Then why bother about getting a computer science degree if technical
    > >> skills are not that relevant ?

    > > A good degree course teaches one how to learn. The possession of a good
    > > degree shows that the candidate has learned how to think.

    > > A degree is used as an initial screen of applicants, every one that gets
    > > interviewed has one, so it comes down the the person. Very few
    > > employers want to employ a brilliant sociopath.

    > >> Peter van der linden in his book expert C programming says that
    > >> the talent and skill required to do systems programming is so rare
    > >> that technical skill/knowledge becomes the single most criteria for
    > >> selection

    > > That is more of an issue for the experienced programmer. It is a rare
    > > thing for a new graduate to have the knowledge, the job of the
    > > interviewer is to spot the talent, which is why I ask questions the
    > > candidate has to think through to answer.

    > One of the most sensible and accurate posts I have read here in c.l.c
    >
    > Agreed 100%.
    >
    > It would be fair to say that few, if any, of the c.l.c clique would pass
    > any interviews I have been involved in during the past 20 years of
    > technical projects. They would be branded as antisocial misfits who
    > would tend to fragment any team to which they were assigned.

    What makes you say that

    "They would be branded as antisocial misfits who would tend to
    fragment any team to which they were assigned."

    Got any personal experience ?

    I don't think everyone who is a member of C.L.C is like that

    , Feb 5, 2008
  9. santosh Guest

    wrote:

    > On Feb 5, 1:24 am, Richard <> wrote:
    >> Ian Collins <> writes:

    >> > *Please* don't quote signatures.

    >> > A good degree course teaches one how to learn. The possession of a
    >> > good degree shows that the candidate has learned how to think.

    >> > A degree is used as an initial screen of applicants, every one that
    >> > gets
    >> > interviewed has one, so it comes down the the person. Very few
    >> > employers want to employ a brilliant sociopath.

    >> > That is more of an issue for the experienced programmer. It is a
    >> > rare thing for a new graduate to have the knowledge, the job of the
    >> > interviewer is to spot the talent, which is why I ask questions the
    >> > candidate has to think through to answer.

    >> One of the most sensible and accurate posts I have read here in c.l.c
    >>
    >> Agreed 100%.
    >>
    >> It would be fair to say that few, if any, of the c.l.c clique would
    >> pass any interviews I have been involved in during the past 20 years
    >> of technical projects. They would be branded as antisocial misfits
    >> who would tend to fragment any team to which they were assigned.

    > What makes you say that
    >
    > "They would be branded as antisocial misfits who would tend to
    > fragment any team to which they were assigned."
    >
    > Got any personal experience ?

    I have had colleagues who have been demoted and/or fired because they
    just couldn't work in a "team" atmosphere. "Team spirit" and "soft
    skills" have (IMO unfortunately) become more or less essential
    attributes to get (and hold) a successful IT job.

    > I don't think everyone who is a member of C.L.C is like that

    He did say the "c.l.c clique" didn't he? OTOH this "clique" is merely a
    knee-jerk response of a few posters to a few others. The vast majority
    of the group might do well to pay them no mind.

    santosh, Feb 5, 2008
  10. johnnash Guest

    yes its true. No body wants in the computer business wants to employ a
    person with poor social skills/personality. And if you do get employe,
    you will find it hard to keep the job. I have personally experienced
    that. I rarely talk to anyone at my job because of my social phobia
    and other issues. A lot of people(who are normal) who do not
    understand it seem to take it as an offense(probably thinking im rude
    or haughty) and work against me.

    johnnash, Feb 5, 2008
  11. Default User Guest

    wrote:

    > On Feb 5, 1:24 am, Richard <> wrote:

    [blither blather]

    > What makes you say that

    He is a troll, whose goal is to disrupt the newsgroup and harrass the
    regulars. I'd suggest killfiling him, but I see you use Google Groups.

    Brian

    Default User, Feb 5, 2008
  12. In article <>,
    Default User <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Feb 5, 1:24 am, Richard <> wrote:

    >[blither blather]
    >
    >> What makes you say that

    >He is a troll, whose goal is to disrupt the newsgroup and harrass the
    >regulars. I'd suggest killfiling him, but I see you use Google Groups.

    In the spirit of continued disclosure, note that Default Loser is a form
    of life posessed of far less self-respect than a troll (a group of which
    I am a proud member in good standing), who only comes out of his burrow to
    post stupid TPA messages and otherwise carp at us trolls.

    It is rumored that it (the Loser) posted something of value to this
    group sometime back in 2004, but that report is unconfirmed.

    Kenny McCormack, Feb 5, 2008