Iowa with FCGI, followup

Kirk Haines

Hey all, some May snow put me offline for a while yesterday, and so I spent
that time configuring my devel server to support FastCGI and then testing
Iowa with it. The nutshell is that it worked pretty simply.

Since an Iowa application runs as a persistent multithreaded process, the
best solution seemed to be an FCGI proxy to the Iowa application. The FCGI
proxy constructs the request for the application, and then receives and
outputs the response. This lets one run the proxy as a dynamic FCGI server,
so performance is pretty decent. My initial tests suggest that it is slower
than using the mod_ruby response handler to handle the transaction to and
from the Iowa app, though.

I'm pretty excited about this. It's one less excuse on the list of reasons
why I still haven't made a release. And thankyou to those of you who
offered to give me a hand testing this, by the way. I'm going to play with
this some more on my machine here, and then I may email you all to try it
out after I have worked through a couple kinks.

Thanks,

Kirk Haines