IP address and origin

Hugh Welford

Hi,

My site is being invaded by AFRICA SPAMMERS mostly from Ivory Coast (
according to my stats program) using USA or UK credentials (zip codes etc)
to fool the registration monitor.

Is there any way that I can grab the IP address as soon as someone lands on
the site and determine the country of origin? Since I am only interersted in
USA or UK origin visitors this would be a convenient way of preventing them
get on the site at all.

Does anyone have any experience in handling of these people?

Thanks

Hugh Welford

Evertjan.

Hugh Welford wrote on 16 dec 2005 in
My site is being invaded by AFRICA SPAMMERS mostly from Ivory Coast (
according to my stats program) using USA or UK credentials (zip codes
etc) to fool the registration monitor.
Is there any way that I can grab the IP address as soon as someone
lands on the site and determine the country of origin? Since I am only
interersted in USA or UK origin visitors this would be a convenient
way of preventing them get on the site at all.

If your stats program can identify them, you can

Not an ASP issue however.
Does anyone have any experience in handling of these people?

Not me.

You could register the urls along with the registration
and DNS them by hand to see a possible pattern.
Since I am only interersted in USA or UK origin visitors

I am of UK origin, but you cannot see that from my IP.

Perhaps do a language test question, not using English.
Not many people speaking Dutch in Ivory coast
are spammers, I presume. ;-}

Kyle Peterson

there are ways to do it

check out these guys as it is one solution
http://www.cyscape.com/Default.aspx?bhcp=1

they got comething called countryhawk that works with asp code quite nicely

basically they are expensive but you will get the best results... howveer
there are many other ways to accomplish ip to country
lookups... you just got to do the research