IPython - problem with using US international keyboard input scheme on W2K

Claudio Grondi

German Windows 2000, SP 4
Python 2.3.4 (#53, May 25 2004, 21:17:02) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]

Is it already known, that after switching
the keyboard input scheme on German
Windows 2000 to english USA International
IPython generates \x00" instead of "
when trying to input quotation marks?

Idle works still OK under same conditions,

so I suppose, that this is because IPyhon
catches the keyboard input before
the appropriate driver processes
the raw keypresses - e.g. the key
combination AltGr-s (i.e. Ctrl-Alt-s)
which should generate a German
ß i.e. ß doesn't work in
IPython at all.

Claudio

Ville Vainio

Claudio> Is it already known, that after switching the keyboard
Claudio> input scheme on German Windows 2000 to english USA
Claudio> International IPython generates \x00" instead of " when
Claudio> trying to input quotation marks?

This has been reported previously - apparently it's a problem with
Gary's readline module (or however it was called ;-), and hacking it
solved the problem for someone. I suggest you search the ipython
mailing list archives, or post this question there.

Ville Vainio

Claudio> Considering what I found in the ipython mailing archives
Claudio> and the fact, that after the fix with displaying colors
Claudio> on bright backgrounds Gary had no time yet to get in
Claudio> touch with me about the code I have sent him, I suppose,
Claudio> that there will be no new releases addressing this
Claudio> problem soon, right?

No idea. There have been multiple complaints about the issue (and
functional patches to fix the problem), so I wouldn't be surprised if
this issue was solved quickly enough.

Claudio> lazy at the moment, because instead of trying to fix it
Claudio> just switched back to Idle ...

Don't get too lazy, you're not alone with this problem. I get a beep
every time I try to type a scandinavian character (äö) on ipython
console, luckily I never have to do that :).

Claudio Grondi

Considering what I found in the ipython mailing archives
and the fact, that after the fix with displaying colors on
bright backgrounds Gary had no time yet to get in touch
with me about the code I have sent him, I suppose, that
there will be no new releases addressing this problem
soon, right?

Claudio
lazy at the moment, because instead of trying to fix it just
switched back to Idle ...

Fernando Perez

Claudio said:
Considering what I found in the ipython mailing archives
and the fact, that after the fix with displaying colors on
bright backgrounds Gary had no time yet to get in touch
with me about the code I have sent him, I suppose, that
there will be no new releases addressing this problem
soon, right?

Sorry to hear this; unfortunately readline/win32 is beyond my control, so there
is not much I can offer on this front. You could try to write to Gary again,
he might just have been swamped with other things at the time.

Best,

Michele Simionato

Me too :-(
I have already submitted my issues with the Italian keyboard
on WinXP with no great success. It works on Linux, but this
is not of a big help since my plan was to use ipython -p pysh on
Windows as a replacement of the shell :-(

Michele Simionato

Fernando Perez

Michele said:
Me too :-(
I have already submitted my issues with the Italian keyboard
on WinXP with no great success. It works on Linux, but this
is not of a big help since my plan was to use ipython -p pysh on
Windows as a replacement of the shell :-(

Bummer. I wonder, if the changes are minor and easy, perhaps you (or someone
else) could offer Gary to take over maintenance of readline/win32? It sounds
like he is perhaps too busy to keep up with the patches and improvements, so
perhaps it's time for someone else to take over? That kind of library, while
very useful, shouldn't require too much future maintenance once the remaining
bugs are ironed out. After all, it's just meant to expose under Win32 the
default GNU readline functionality, so there is not much 'new stuff' to do
there, and once it works correctly (which I think it's currently very close to
doing), not much else should be needed.

Just a thouhgt...

Best,

Ville Vainio

Fernando> Bummer. I wonder, if the changes are minor and easy,
Fernando> perhaps you (or someone else) could offer Gary to take
Fernando> over maintenance of readline/win32? It sounds

Someone on the ipython mailing list already had patches for it - I
think it was for Belgian keyboards. She didn't submit the patches,
just asked whether she should submit them.

Fernando> like he is perhaps too busy to keep up with the patches
Fernando> and improvements, so perhaps it's time for someone else
Fernando> to take over? That kind of library, while

Optimally, something like this should be in the pywin32 package. I
suppose it could be hosted at scipy if someone was to take over the
maintenance? It's open source, so the maintenance doesn't need to be
"transferred" - just put up version control somewhere and we'll see
what happens :).

In the meantime I would suggest win32 users to do as I do and use a
different keyboard layout. US layout is better for programming anyway
and you learn it in a day or two. Settings->Control Panel->Regional
Options->Input Locales.

Gary Bishop

Fernando Perez said:
Claudio Grondi wrote:

Folks, the code is OPEN SOURCE! It is right there at
SourceForge. Anyone, anywhere, at any time is free to hack it,
redistribute it, or ignore it.

It works FINE FOR ME as it is. Furthermore, I know NOTHING about
localization. Someone who NEEDS LOCALIZATION should FIX IT in a
general way.

Make your own version. Create a SourceForge project for it and you can
be the developer. I wouldn't even care if you removed my name from it.

I've received a patch or two for specific keyboards but I have no way
to test them and no time or inclination to fool with it.

The bottom line is, I write code for my own use. If others benefit
that is great. If it doesn't do what you want, make your own
version. If you want to distribute a new version, go for it.

gb

Thomas Heller

Gary Bishop said:
Folks, the code is OPEN SOURCE! It is right there at
SourceForge. Anyone, anywhere, at any time is free to hack it,
redistribute it, or ignore it.

It works FINE FOR ME as it is. Furthermore, I know NOTHING about
localization. Someone who NEEDS LOCALIZATION should FIX IT in a
general way.

Make your own version. Create a SourceForge project for it and you can
be the developer. I wouldn't even care if you removed my name from it.

I've received a patch or two for specific keyboards but I have no way
to test them and no time or inclination to fool with it.

The bottom line is, I write code for my own use. If others benefit
that is great. If it doesn't do what you want, make your own
version. If you want to distribute a new version, go for it.

Maybe it would make sense then to maintain the readline code in the ctypes
CVS repository, since it requires ctypes anyway?

Thomas

RosaDemko