FFMG

Hi,

If I have something like :

std::map<int, int> myMap;
myMap[200] = 1;
myMap[100] = 2;
myMap[300] = 3;
myMap[150] = 4;

What does the standard say that the output must be if I iterate thru
the map?

for( std::map< int, int>::const_iterator it = myMap.begin(); it !=
myMap.end(); ++it )
{
// output it->first
}

Is the output...
// 100
// 150
// 200
// 300

Or is it
// 200
// 100
// 300
// 150

Or can it be anything at all and I have no real guarantees ...

What I want to do is iterate though the map from the lowest integer to
the largest, do I need to re-order it first or do anything special.

How can I get the map in the right 'order'

Many thanks

FFMG

Thomas J. Gritzan

FFMG said:
Hi,

If I have something like :

std::map<int, int> myMap;
myMap[200] = 1;
myMap[100] = 2;
myMap[300] = 3;
myMap[150] = 4;

What does the standard say that the output must be if I iterate thru
the map?

A map is always ordered by the key. So the order would be 100, 150, 200,
300 with the corresponding values.

[...]
What I want to do is iterate though the map from the lowest integer to
the largest, do I need to re-order it first or do anything special.

How can I get the map in the right 'order'

You can't reorder a map. A std::map (and std::set) is always ordered by
the key, using the given predicate function, which is std::less by default.

joseph cook

  According to the Bjarne map values is sorted by keys (17.4.1)

  Use sort()

No, this is incorrect. A map is always sorted using std::less on the
key (not the value).

It cannot be reordered.

Joe Cook

maverik

No, this is incorrect.   A map is always sorted using std::less on the
key (not the value).

Hmmm. I mean map values are sorted by keys. Of course, I mistyped
with "is", but where I said about values?
It cannot be reordered.

Ya, you are right. When read FFMG's last question I think that he
wants to sort map. Of course, map elements order cannot be changed.

Juha Nieminen

joseph said:
A map is always sorted using std::less

Not always. By default, yes, but you can specify other comparators, eg:

std::map<int, int, std::greater> reversedMap;

FFMG

A map is always ordered by the key. So the order would be 100, 150, 200,
300 with the corresponding values.

Thanks for all the replies.
I just wanted to make sure that the map was always ordered by key.
You can't reorder a map. A std::map (and std::set) is always ordered by
the key, using the given predicate function, which is std::less by default.

What I was trying to say was, 'if the map is not ordered by key how
can I get the map in the right order'.
But seen that it is ordered it does not matter.

Thanks again

FFMG

acehreli

  Not always. By default, yes, but you can specify other comparators, eg:

std::map<int, int, std::greater> reversedMap;

Or at runtime:

std::map<int, int> myMap(myPredicate);

Ali

Rolf Magnus

Pete said:
Not really. There's a third type argument to std::map which specifies
the map's predicate type, with a default of std::less<T>. This
constructor takes an argument with the same type as the template's
predicate argument, so you can't pass arbitrary predicate objects. This
constructor is only useful with a user-defined predicate type that can
be initialized with something other than its default constructor.

Well, basically that just does mean that it depends on a runtime value.
Otherwise, you wouldn't need those constructor arguments in the first place.

Juha Nieminen

std::map<int, int> myMap(myPredicate);

I don't think you can do that because the comparator template
parameter is set by default to std::less, and unless myPredicate casts
implicitly to type std::less, that won't work. You have to do it like:

std::map<int, int, MyPredicateType> myMap(myPredicate);

If 'myPredicate' is a function, the syntax becomes awkward:

std::map<int, int, bool(*)(int, int)> myMap(myPredicate);

This becomes even more awkward if the key and data types of the map
are something more complicated than int.

The next standard will offer a tool to alleviate the problem:

std::map<int, int, decltype(myPredicate)> myMap(myPredicate);