Is IIS required to run Web Services?

Ray Stevens

I understand it might be possible to use WSE and, thus, avoid running IIS on
the Web Services server. Is this true?

Martin Kulov

Ray Stevens said:
I understand it might be possible to use WSE and, thus, avoid running IIS
on the Web Services server. Is this true?

Hi Ray,

Yes, it is true. You can use tcp, http (MS implementation), smtp or msmq
(custom implemetation) transports in WSE 3.0.
See excerpt from [1].

"In WSE 3.0 ASMX Web services can be hosted in console applications, Windows
services, COM+ components, or Windows Form applications and called via the
TCP protocol. There have been several other custom transports published for
WSE including UDP, SMTP, and MSMQ that could also take advantage of these
alternative hosts for ASMX Web services, other than having to use just the
TCP protocol. In addition, it is possible to use HTTP.SYS to provide an HTTP
listening stack that does not require IIS to be installed on the machine.
The WSE 3.0 Advanced Messaging Hands-on Lab walks you through the process of
creating a custom transport."

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwse/html/newwse3.asp

Good luck,