    Ray Stevens Guest

    I understand it might be possible to use WSE and, thus, avoid running IIS on
    the Web Services server. Is this true?
    Ray Stevens, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Ray Stevens

    Martin Kulov Guest

    "Ray Stevens" <> wrote in message
    news:%23%...
    >I understand it might be possible to use WSE and, thus, avoid running IIS
    >on the Web Services server. Is this true?

    Hi Ray,

    Yes, it is true. You can use tcp, http (MS implementation), smtp or msmq
    (custom implemetation) transports in WSE 3.0.
    See excerpt from [1].

    "In WSE 3.0 ASMX Web services can be hosted in console applications, Windows
    services, COM+ components, or Windows Form applications and called via the
    TCP protocol. There have been several other custom transports published for
    WSE including UDP, SMTP, and MSMQ that could also take advantage of these
    alternative hosts for ASMX Web services, other than having to use just the
    TCP protocol. In addition, it is possible to use HTTP.SYS to provide an HTTP
    listening stack that does not require IIS to be installed on the machine.
    The WSE 3.0 Advanced Messaging Hands-on Lab walks you through the process of
    creating a custom transport."

    [1]
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwse/html/newwse3.asp

    Good luck,