Is Passing Parameters to an ASPX page like ASCX controls possible?

David Freeman

Hi There!

I'm just wondering if there's a way to pass parameters (as if you were
passing parameters to a ASCX web control) when calling an ASPX page?

e.g.
MyDetailsPage.UserName = "david"

OR... the only way to do it is to use the QueryString or Session object?

Thanks all in advance!!!

David

Jeffrey Palermo [MCP]

David,
In your code-behind page, define a public property. Then, anywhere you
have context to your page, you can set this property. The most common,
easy, way, however is to use the querystring. I would recommend using that.

Of course, for the user, I would use Forms Authentication.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Palermo

David Freeman

Hi Jeff!

Thanks for the reply! But I'm not using code-behind model (because I don't
want to compile it while I'm developing). So this method can also be used in
the <script> block instead, right?

Another thing I want to clarify is that I want to pass parameters to
**another** ASPX page and not to the same ASPX page itself for postback. Can
this method be used for this?

For example, when I call "MyDetailsPage.aspx" from "home.aspx", I want to
pass parameters to "MyDetailsPage.aspx" like...

MyDetailsPage.UserName = "David"

Is this possible or am I hoping the impossible?

Thanks again!!

David

Jeffrey Palermo [MCP]

David,
That's really not how HTTP posting works. In ASP.NET, data can be
passed to a page in several ways. Querystring, Form fields, and if you do a
Server.Transfer to the second page, then you can use the .Items collection.
I would recommend Request.Querystring or Request.Form.

So, yes, there is not way to call a second page and set a property on the
second page before doing the transfer.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Palermo

David Freeman said:
Hi Jeff!

Thanks for the reply! But I'm not using code-behind model (because I don't
want to compile it while I'm developing). So this method can also be used in
the <script> block instead, right?

Another thing I want to clarify is that I want to pass parameters to
**another** ASPX page and not to the same ASPX page itself for postback. Can
this method be used for this?

For example, when I call "MyDetailsPage.aspx" from "home.aspx", I want to
pass parameters to "MyDetailsPage.aspx" like...

MyDetailsPage.UserName = "David"

Is this possible or am I hoping the impossible?

Thanks again!!

David

"Jeffrey Palermo [MCP]" <http://dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/jpalermo> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
David,
In your code-behind page, define a public property. Then, anywhere
you
have context to your page, you can set this property. The most common,
easy, way, however is to use the querystring. I would recommend using
that.

Of course, for the user, I would use Forms Authentication.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Palermo

David Freeman

Thanks Jeff.