Is tempfile.mkdtemp() thread-safe?

Gabriel Rossetti

Hello,

I'm using tempfile.mkdtemp() in a multithreading program and I've been
having problems with it. Sometimes it tells me the file I'm trying to
access (in the directory created with tempfile.mkdtemp()) doesn't exist.
I suspect that tempfile.mkdtemp() returns the same directory to
different threads sometimes. Does anyone know anything about this or
have a solution? I have to create unique and temp. directories to use an
external program that creates a temp. file with the same name every
time, thus if I want to call it from several threads, each call has to
be from a different directory.

Thank you,
Gabriel

Gabriel Rossetti

Dennis said:
Have you considered passing in the ID (string-formatted) of the
thread itself as a parameter (suffix)?
No, that's a very good idea... you mean with the id() builtin function
correct? I'll try that, then. But if it's really not thread-safe, then
it will still return the same tmp dir to both calls.

No, that's a very good idea... you mean with the id() builtin function
correct? I'll try that, thanl

Gabriel Rossetti

Dennis said:
Have you considered passing in the ID (string-formatted) of the
thread itself as a parameter (suffix)?

Ok, it doesn't work, I think it's not thread-safe, but if someone knows
better, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Gabriel