Is there a map or list of events anywhere around?

pete

I see from a couple of days of googling that many folks have tried to
find a knowledgable or even authoritative (ha!) list of events; the
browsers that support them; the DOM objects they might be associated
with; and how to address these events in different browsers.

There is a good list at quirksmode, but it doesn't deal with the
scroll event, which is the one I'm struggling with now. In
particular, I'm need to understand the scroll event in IE6,7,8,9.

Does anyone know of such a list and where it can be found? You'd be
doing humanity a great service if you could let us know about it.

Thanks!

-- pete

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

pete said:
I see from a couple of days of googling that many folks have tried to
find a knowledgable or even authoritative (ha!) list of events; the
browsers that support them; the DOM objects they might be associated
with; and how to address these events in different browsers.

There is a good list at quirksmode, but it doesn't deal with the
scroll event, which is the one I'm struggling with now. In
particular, I'm need to understand the scroll event in IE6,7,8,9.

Does anyone know of such a list and where it can be found? You'd be
doing humanity a great service if you could let us know about it.

BTDT: <https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM_Client_Object_Cross-
Reference/DOM_Events>

BTW, it's a wiki.

HTH

PointedEars

Martin Honnen

pete said:
I see from a couple of days of googling that many folks have tried to
find a knowledgable or even authoritative (ha!) list of events; the
browsers that support them; the DOM objects they might be associated
with; and how to address these events in different browsers.

There is a good list at quirksmode, but it doesn't deal with the
scroll event, which is the one I'm struggling with now. In
particular, I'm need to understand the scroll event in IE6,7,8,9.

Does anyone know of such a list and where it can be found?

Well Microsoft documents its stuff on MSDN:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533051(v=VS.85).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536966(v=VS.85).aspx
so for IE that is as authoritative as it can get.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <2a603cd2-7ec3-4877-bdb3-f9e1bbfafc45@n1
6g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, Wed, 2 Mar 2011 08:47:24, pete
I see from a couple of days of googling that many folks have tried to
find a knowledgable or even authoritative (ha!) list of events; the
browsers that support them; the DOM objects they might be associated
with; and how to address these events in different browsers.

There is a good list at quirksmode, but it doesn't deal with the
scroll event, which is the one I'm struggling with now. In
particular, I'm need to understand the scroll event in IE6,7,8,9.

Does anyone know of such a list and where it can be found? You'd be
doing humanity a great service if you could let us know about it.

My page <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-props.htm> will list
properties of anything in the page's DOM tree, to which it can add; it
can also list the properties of a couple of events, to which it might be
possible to add more. That is as they are in your current browser.

The generation of the form (disregarding CSS) and its operation are
entirely contained within an Include file inc-prop.js, which could be
used with a page of your own that generates more events.

Obviously that's not an answer to your actual question, but it might be
useful in conjunction.

If you find or know a way in which a browser can be made to give a list
of all the events it can handle, do say so. Clearly, it should not be
difficult to extend inc-prop.js to walk the current DOM tree and list
everything it sees that appears to be an event handler; but for those to
be visible you may need a browser that has
Object.getOwnPropertyNames(element).

I can see onscroll that way in Safari - can one generate an onXXXX event
from code without knowing what it is, in order to inspect its Object?