Is there a maximum number of emails CDONTS can handle in an asp script

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Hugo Lefebvre, Oct 20, 2007.

  1. Is there a maximum number of emails CDONTS can handle in an asp script? I
    have different questions about this.

    Question1:

    example1:
    set objSendMail = createobject("CDONTS.NewMail")

    objSendMail.To = emailto

    objSendMail.CC = emailcc

    objSendMail.BCC = emailbcc
    objSendMail.Send
    set objSendMail = nothing

    is there a limit for the length of the strings 'email_to', 'emailcc' and
    'emailbcc'?
    is the number of e-mailadresses in the strings 'email_to', 'emailcc' and
    'emailbcc' limited?

    Question2:

    I make a loop like this:

    x = 0

    do while x < 200
    set objSendMail = createobject("CDONTS.NewMail")

    objSendMail.To = emailaddress(x)
    objSendMail.Send
    set objSendMail = nothing

    x = x + 1
    loop

    where 'emailaddress(x)' is a string of one e-mailaddress (first time:
    emailaddres of person1, second time emailaddress of person2, ...)

    Is there a limit for the loop: 50 or 100 or more?

    The webserver is IIS and, I think, the smtp-server is Exchange Server.

    Thanks for an answer.

    Hugo Lefebvre, Oct 20, 2007

  2. "Hugo Lefebvre" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a maximum number of emails CDONTS can handle in an asp script? I
    > have different questions about this.
    >
    > Question1:
    >
    > example1:
    > set objSendMail = createobject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    >
    > objSendMail.To = emailto
    >
    > objSendMail.CC = emailcc
    >
    > objSendMail.BCC = emailbcc
    > objSendMail.Send
    > set objSendMail = nothing
    >

    > is there a limit for the length of the strings 'email_to', 'emailcc'

    and
    > 'emailbcc'?
    > is the number of e-mailadresses in the strings 'email_to', 'emailcc'

    and
    > 'emailbcc' limited?
    >

    > Question2:
    >
    > I make a loop like this:
    >
    > x = 0
    >
    > do while x < 200
    > set objSendMail = createobject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    >
    > objSendMail.To = emailaddress(x)
    > objSendMail.Send
    > set objSendMail = nothing
    >
    > x = x + 1
    > loop
    >
    > where 'emailaddress(x)' is a string of one e-mailaddress (first time:
    > emailaddres of person1, second time emailaddress of person2, ...)
    >
    > Is there a limit for the loop: 50 or 100 or more?
    >

    > The webserver is IIS and, I think, the smtp-server is Exchange Server.

    I don't know about CDONTS. Its deprecated you should use CDOSYS. I'm not
    aware of there being any limit to the size of To or CC fields. I've seen
    some with 100s email addresses.

    As for question 2 the only thing that would limit it is the SMTP server. If
    it felt it was being abused it might take some action.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Thanks for the answer, but i'd like to know the answer for CDONTS. Can
    anyone help?

    Thanks.

    webmaster COV, Oct 22, 2007
  4. "Hugo Lefebvre" wrote:
    > ...is there a limit for the length of the strings 'email_to', 'emailcc'
    > and 'emailbcc'?

    Almost certainly.

    > ...is the number of e-mailadresses in the strings 'email_to', 'emailcc'
    > and 'emailbcc' limited?

    Ditto.

    > do while x < 200
    > set objSendMail = createobject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    >
    > objSendMail.To = emailaddress(x)
    > objSendMail.Send
    > set objSendMail = nothing
    >
    > x = x + 1
    > loop
    >
    > where 'emailaddress(x)' is a string of one e-mailaddress (first time:
    > emailaddres of person1, second time emailaddress of person2, ...)
    >
    > Is there a limit for the loop: 50 or 100 or more?

    Yes. When x > 9007199254740992, VBScript will stop differentiating between x
    and x+1. Before that happens, you are likely to run into
    Server.ScriptTimeout (if this is an ASP script) or disk space in your
    \mailroot\pickup\ directory. The size of your emailaddress() array seems to
    be a limiting factor, as well.

    Otherwise, no. You are creating and destroying the object in each pass
    through the loop, so you never hit an inherent CDONTS.NewMail limit.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Oct 22, 2007