Is there a python wrapper for OpenPAM?

Martin P. Hellwig

Hi all,

I'm busy with a personal project that does password synchronization
between NT and BSD.
By using a password hook/filter/notifier when password is changed (on NT
PasswdHk and on BSD a modified version of pam_exec*) I can retrieve a
changed password, however when I want to check the validation of the
password or change it, I run into my limitations.

On NT I can use the win32 extension to check and change the password.
On BSD this is a bit of a problem, the PyPAM (a Linux package) is not
compatible to OpenPAM (as used for example used in FreeBSD). At this
moment I change the password by calling the passwd program and check the
password by using my imaps service but I rather like to do it by
accessing the pam libs itself.

I checked out the dl function and I understand the syntax but I have no
clue how I could implement a password change or check module with it
(due to my limited knowledge of OpenPAM and the C programming language).

Is there perhaps somebody who already created a wrapping for OpenPAM or
has some pointers for me how I should proceed on this matter?

On a side note, wouldn't it be a great module for python to have a
platform independent authentication module that wraps these types of
operations (password fetching, checking and changing) of the local system?