    limit to reply?

    Thanks,
    - Rafe
    Rafe, Oct 31, 2008

  2. Rafe wrote:
    > I tried to post some follow-ups to some issues I posted in the hopes
    > of helping others, but I only get "reply to author" and "forward", but
    > no "reply" option (using GoogleGroups). Is there some kind of time
    > limit to reply?

    Two things:
    1. Google Groups is by far not the best interface to the Usenet. Using a
    dedicated newsserver and a real newsclient would be much much better.

    2. This newsgroup is actually a mailinglist with a mail-to-news gateway
    connecting it to the Usenet. Anything can happen with a mediocre newsclient
    like GG and possibly wacky setups of mailclient and the gateway.

    If you are interested in this group/mailinglist, get at least a real
    newsclient or simply subscribe to the mailinglist itself.

    cheers

    Uli

    --
    Sator Laser GmbH
    Ulrich Eckhardt, Oct 31, 2008

  3. Rafe

    Rafe Guest

    On Oct 31, 5:21 pm, Ulrich Eckhardt <> wrote:
    > Rafe wrote:
    > > I tried to post some follow-ups to some issues I posted in the hopes
    > > of helping others, but I only get "reply to author" and "forward", but
    > > no "reply" option (using GoogleGroups). Is there some kind of time
    > > limit to reply?

    > Two things:
    > 1. Google Groups is by far not the best interface to the Usenet. Using a
    > dedicated newsserver and a real newsclient would be much much better.
    >
    > 2. This newsgroup is actually a mailinglist with a mail-to-news gateway
    > connecting it to the Usenet. Anything can happen with a mediocre newsclient
    > like GG and possibly wacky setups of mailclient and the gateway.
    >
    > If you are interested in this group/mailinglist, get at least a real
    > newsclient or simply subscribe to the mailinglist itself.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Uli
    >
    > --
    > Sator Laser GmbH
    > Geschäftsführer: Thorsten Föcking, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932

    Can you recommend anything? I would like to avoid 1,000s of emails
    flooding my account though. It also has to work from behind a strict
    corporate firewall.

    Thanks,

    - Rafe
    Rafe, Oct 31, 2008
  4. Rafe

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 31 Okt, 10:38, Rafe <> wrote:
    > I tried to post some follow-ups to some issues I posted in the hopes
    > of helping others, but I only get "reply to author" and "forward", but
    > no "reply" option (using GoogleGroups). Is there some kind of time
    > limit to reply?

    Probably not for any of the newsgroups or mailing lists accessed via
    Google Groups. The behaviour you're seeing could be temporary - Google
    Groups isn't always particularly reliable - or it might be the case
    that the sender is one of those people who has requested that their
    messages not be archived, perhaps interpreted by Google Groups in the
    way you describe, but I'm just speculating at this point.

    Paul
    Paul Boddie, Oct 31, 2008
  5. Rafe wrote:
    > Can you recommend anything? I would like to avoid 1,000s of emails
    > flooding my account though.

    I like knode from KDE for browsing the Usenet. The Mozilla suite also
    contains a newsreader. Other than that, use a webmail account and configure
    a filter to file everything Pythonic into a separate folder.

    > It also has to work from behind a strict
    > corporate firewall.

    When a firewall prevents work from being done, then there is a simple
    technical solution. In any case, you might want to ask your sysadmin
    whether the company or their ISP has a newsserver which you could use.

    Uli

    --
    Sator Laser GmbH
    Ulrich Eckhardt, Oct 31, 2008
  6. Rafe

    Terry Reedy Guest

    Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
    > Rafe wrote:
    >> Can you recommend anything? I would like to avoid 1,000s of emails
    >> flooding my account though.

    > I like knode from KDE for browsing the Usenet. The Mozilla suite also
    > contains a newsreader. Other than that, use a webmail account and configure
    > a filter to file everything Pythonic into a separate folder.
    >
    >> It also has to work from behind a strict
    >> corporate firewall.

    > When a firewall prevents work from being done, then there is a simple
    > technical solution. In any case, you might want to ask your sysadmin
    > whether the company or their ISP has a newsserver which you could use.

    This list is available from free news.gmane.org as group
    gmane.comp.python.general. Works well enough.
    Terry Reedy, Nov 1, 2008