is there a way to fix the number of words in a textbox

Norman

Hello,
I have a form, but would like to fix the number of words that a user
can add to this to say 50 words.
Can this be done on the form, or would I need an external validation
script to count the number of words and then return a warning message?
Or would it be simpler to just display the first 50 words only, if so
how do I write the html to just show the first 50 words.
Thanks

Jonathan N. Little

Norman said:
Hello,
I have a form, but would like to fix the number of words that a user
can add to this to say 50 words.
Can this be done on the form, or would I need an external validation
script to count the number of words and then return a warning message?
Or would it be simpler to just display the first 50 words only, if so
how do I write the html to just show the first 50 words.
Thanks
You cannot do this with HTML. HTML is not a programming language, it is
markup that says "this is a paragraph" and "that is a list". You need a
script. JavaScript which runs on the client can to the job quickly as
the user types, but is not absolutely reliable because the user may have
JavaScript disable. The receiving server side script should have the
*final* word and check the input and bounce the user back to the form
with a error message if the input does not meet the criteria.

Norman

You cannot do this with HTML. HTML is not a programming language, it is
markup that says "this is a paragraph" and "that is a list". You need a
script. JavaScript which runs on the client can to the job quickly as
the user types, but is not absolutely reliable because the user may have
JavaScript disable. The receiving server side script should have the
*final* word and check the input and bounce the user back to the form
with a error message if the input does not meet the criteria.

Thanks, for your reply.