  1. aa

    aa Guest

    Is there a way to have Personal Web Server on XP- Home?

    aa, Feb 4, 2007

  2. aa

    PW Guest

    PW, Feb 4, 2007

  3. aa

    John Waller Guest

    > Follow this article. its tells you home to install PWS and has a link
    > where to get it from ...

    It's a good, but dated, tutorial but it doesn't apply to Windows XP (Home or
    Pro).

    PWS has been discontinued in favour of IIS.

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    John Waller, Feb 4, 2007
  4. aa

    aa Guest

    Thanks, it's a very good article - actually I read it heavily when I was
    designing my first DB-based website some years ago.

    aa, Feb 4, 2007
  5. aa

    aa Guest

    I do not need PWS per ce, I need something which would allow to run ASP on
    my local XP-Home.
    In my XP-Home installation CD there is no IIS. Can I download a version
    installable on XP-Home?

    aa, Feb 4, 2007
  6. aa

    John Waller Guest

    >I do not need PWS per ce, I need something which would allow to run ASP on
    > my local XP-Home.

    PWS is defunct.

    You need XP Pro with IIS.

    > In my XP-Home installation CD there is no IIS. Can I download a version
    > installable on XP-Home?

    No, no, no and...no.

    You mentioned in an earlier thread that PHP was also a possibility for you?

    Or are you definitely needing ASP?

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    John Waller, Feb 4, 2007
  7. aa

    aa Guest

    > You mentioned in an earlier thread that PHP was also a possibility for
    you?
    > Or are you definitely needing ASP?

    does not matter. Matters the ease of getting and installing. PHP works on
    PWS.
    But if you mean using PHP on Apache - installing Apache scares me off.
    I've never installed it, but just reading about installing Apache/PHP
    procedure makes me feel uncomfortable :-(

    aa, Feb 4, 2007
  8. aa

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "aa" <> wrote:

    >But if you mean using PHP on Apache - installing Apache scares me off.
    >I've never installed it, but just reading about installing Apache/PHP
    >procedure makes me feel uncomfortable :-(

    I can't understand that at all. It's dead easy to install. I've got it
    running on my laptop (XP Home) to debug web stuff. It runs Perl CGI
    programs effortlessly. It will run PHP also.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt

    Tim Slattery, Feb 5, 2007
  9. aa

    John Waller Guest

    > But if you mean using PHP on Apache - installing Apache scares me off.
    > I've never installed it, but just reading about installing Apache/PHP
    > procedure makes me feel uncomfortable :-(

    There's nothing to be scared of.

    You obviously haven't tried WAMP.

    It's a simple point and click process with a friendly icon in your system
    tray once installed.

    --
    Regards

    John Waller