Is there a way to have Personal Web Server on XP- Home?

John Waller

Follow this article. its tells you home to install PWS and has a link
where to get it from ...

It's a good, but dated, tutorial but it doesn't apply to Windows XP (Home or
Pro).

PWS has been discontinued in favour of IIS.

aa

Thanks, it's a very good article - actually I read it heavily when I was
designing my first DB-based website some years ago.

aa

I do not need PWS per ce, I need something which would allow to run ASP on
my local XP-Home.
In my XP-Home installation CD there is no IIS. Can I download a version
installable on XP-Home?

John Waller

I do not need PWS per ce, I need something which would allow to run ASP on
my local XP-Home.

PWS is defunct.

You need XP Pro with IIS.
In my XP-Home installation CD there is no IIS. Can I download a version
installable on XP-Home?

No, no, no and...no.

You mentioned in an earlier thread that PHP was also a possibility for you?

Or are you definitely needing ASP?

aa

You mentioned in an earlier thread that PHP was also a possibility for
you?
Or are you definitely needing ASP?
does not matter. Matters the ease of getting and installing. PHP works on
PWS.
But if you mean using PHP on Apache - installing Apache scares me off.
I've never installed it, but just reading about installing Apache/PHP
procedure makes me feel uncomfortable :-(

Tim Slattery

aa said:
But if you mean using PHP on Apache - installing Apache scares me off.
I've never installed it, but just reading about installing Apache/PHP
procedure makes me feel uncomfortable :-(

I can't understand that at all. It's dead easy to install. I've got it
running on my laptop (XP Home) to debug web stuff. It runs Perl CGI
programs effortlessly. It will run PHP also.

John Waller

But if you mean using PHP on Apache - installing Apache scares me off.
I've never installed it, but just reading about installing Apache/PHP
procedure makes me feel uncomfortable :-(

There's nothing to be scared of.

You obviously haven't tried WAMP.

It's a simple point and click process with a friendly icon in your system
tray once installed.