    page.

    Thanks.
    dungping
    dungping, Sep 8, 2005

  2. dungping

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Dylan Parry, Sep 8, 2005

  3. dungping

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Dylan Parry, Sep 8, 2005
  4. dungping wrote:
    > There are two symbols of 'left right arrow' for html page. They are
    > harr; and hArr;.
    >
    > I wonder if there is an 'up down arrow' for html. I need it for my
    > page.

    ↕ and ⇕.
    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 8, 2005
  5. dungping

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Leif K-Brooks scraped:

    > ↕ and ⇕.

    Those are arrows that point up *or* down, not one that point up *and*
    down at the same time.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Sep 8, 2005
  6. Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Leif K-Brooks scraped:
    >
    >> ↕ and ⇕.

    > Those are arrows that point up *or* down, not one that point up *and*
    > down at the same time.

    They appear to be pointing both up and down to me.
    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 8, 2005
  7. dungping

    dungping Guest

    I tried both. ↕ is an up and down arrow, and exactly what I
    needed. But ⇕ doesn't display. Probably an instruction needs to
    be written into the header area, to display it. But I've already got
    what I wanted.

    Thanks a lot for help.

    dungping, Sep 8, 2005
  8. Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Using a pointed stick and pebbles, dungping scraped:
    >
    > > I wonder if there is an 'up down arrow' for html. I need it for my
    > > page.

    > See: http://webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/arrow_characters

    Do you have a compability chart for these entities for Safari (Mac) as
    well?

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Sep 8, 2005
  9. dungping

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Kim André Akerø scraped:

    > Do you have a compability chart for these entities for Safari (Mac) as
    > well?

    Unfortunately not. I haven't updated those pages in such a long time
    now, but you can rest assured that at least the first 5 characters will
    work fine in Safari. I keep meaning to getting around to updating those
    charts, but its finding the time... :\

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Sep 8, 2005
  10. "dungping" <> wrote:

    > I tried both.

    Huh? Country _and_ Western? Or up and down? Please learn to quote what you
    comment on. (See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/ for pointers.)

    > ↕ is an up and down arrow,

    It is "up down arrow", by the official name.

    > and exactly what I needed.

    Perhaps.

    > But ⇕ doesn't display.

    It still _is_ "up down double arrow". Whether you see it depends on many
    things, such as the font(s) in use, and browser. Does this ring a bell as
    regards to ↕?

    There are lots of arrow characters in Unicode, see
    http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/arrows.html
    And you can, in principle, use any of them in HTML. Contrary to popular
    superstition, you are not limited to those that have entity names like
    &harr; (which are of rather little use in practice). What matters is how
    well browsers display different characters. ↕ is _relatively_ safe,
    since it belongs to the Windows Glyph List, so common fonts on Windows
    systems usually contain it. But it's still an unnecessary risk, unless you
    really gain something by using that character, as opposite to an image.

    > Probably an instruction needs to
    > be written into the header area, to display it.

    No. This is much more complicated than you think. _If_ you wish to use a
    fancy arrow _character_, start reading e.g.
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/chars.var

    > But I've already got what I wanted.

    I'm afraid you haven't understood the issue. Neither have we, since we
    don't even know what the original problem (which the up down arrow
    character is supposed to solve) is. Thus we cannot estimate how much it
    matters that 42 %, or some other number, of visitors will see just a small
    rectangle or a question mark, or something. The odds are that it would be
    much more appropriate to use a small image, with a decent alt text that
    expresses the intended message (roughly, what you would say if you read
    your page over the phone).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 8, 2005