Is there any good book on PCI interface design?

MM

What aspect of PCI design are you interested in? Do you want to do a PCI
chip or a PCI board?

/Mikhail

tsj

I would like to practice how to program a PCI interface with VHDL/verilog.
In terms of board, if I can make a cardbus board which can be hooked up to
my laptop, that will be fun.

MM

tsj said:
I would like to practice how to program a PCI interface with VHDL/verilog.
In terms of board, if I can make a cardbus board which can be hooked up to
my laptop, that will be fun.

This is a pretty big undertaking! PCI interface is not easy to implement,
although some people did it. I would recommend you to take a look at a
couple of datasheets for some of the popular PCI chips, such as PLX PCI9054.
BTW, it is a lot easier to do a target only, so perhaps start with the
PCI9050 datasheet... These datasheets are not enough to make your own
interface, but they will give you a pretty good idea of what is involved.
For actual implementation you will have to have a PCI spec. I don't think
there is a book that would substitute it...

/Mikhail

Jon

tsj said:
The books I know are quite abstract and I cannot see what they are talking
about.

I would suggest for an overview of how PCI is used in the computer see
"PCI System architecture" by people from mindshare. For a more
details on hardware and software checkout "PCI & PCI-X Hardware and
software" by Ed Solari. These books could help explain the spec and
some good insight into the SPEC and operational requirements.

Jon