    tsj Guest

    The books I know are quite abstract and I cannot see what they are talking
    about.

    tsj, Sep 12, 2003

  2. tsj

    MM Guest

    What aspect of PCI design are you interested in? Do you want to do a PCI
    chip or a PCI board?

    /Mikhail

    MM, Sep 12, 2003

  3. tsj

    tsj Guest

    I would like to practice how to program a PCI interface with VHDL/verilog.
    In terms of board, if I can make a cardbus board which can be hooked up to
    my laptop, that will be fun.

    tsj, Sep 13, 2003
  4. tsj

    MM Guest

    "tsj" <> wrote in message news:bju5hp$qge$...
    > I would like to practice how to program a PCI interface with VHDL/verilog.
    > In terms of board, if I can make a cardbus board which can be hooked up to
    > my laptop, that will be fun.

    This is a pretty big undertaking! PCI interface is not easy to implement,
    although some people did it. I would recommend you to take a look at a
    couple of datasheets for some of the popular PCI chips, such as PLX PCI9054.
    BTW, it is a lot easier to do a target only, so perhaps start with the
    PCI9050 datasheet... These datasheets are not enough to make your own
    interface, but they will give you a pretty good idea of what is involved.
    For actual implementation you will have to have a PCI spec. I don't think
    there is a book that would substitute it...

    /Mikhail

    MM, Sep 14, 2003
  5. tsj

    Jon Guest

    "tsj" <> wrote in message news:<bjt4f6$smh$>...
    > The books I know are quite abstract and I cannot see what they are talking
    > about.

    I would suggest for an overview of how PCI is used in the computer see
    "PCI System architecture" by people from mindshare. For a more
    details on hardware and software checkout "PCI & PCI-X Hardware and
    software" by Ed Solari. These books could help explain the spec and
    some good insight into the SPEC and operational requirements.

    Jon

    Jon, Sep 14, 2003