Is there any way to automatically create a transcript of an interactive Python session?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jonathan Mark, Feb 18, 2007.

  1. Some languages, such as Scheme, permit you to make a transcript of an
    interactive console session. Is there a way to do that in Python?

    Jonathan Mark, Feb 18, 2007

  2. Jonathan Mark

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    "Jonathan Mark" <> wrote:

    > Some languages, such as Scheme, permit you to make a transcript of an
    > interactive console session. Is there a way to do that in Python?

    I don't know of any way *inside* of python, but it's easy enough to run
    your interactive python session inside of something like "script", an emacs
    shell buffer, etc.

    Roy Smith, Feb 18, 2007

  3. Jonathan Mark

    Kent Johnson Guest

    Re: Is there any way to automatically create a transcript of an interactivePython session?

    Jonathan Mark wrote:
    > Some languages, such as Scheme, permit you to make a transcript of an
    > interactive console session. Is there a way to do that in Python?

    Maybe IPython's logging feature is what you want?
    http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/node6.html#SECTION00066000000000000000

    Kent

    Kent Johnson, Feb 19, 2007
  4. Jonathan Mark

    Guest

    Re: Is there any way to automatically create a transcript of aninteractive Python session?

    Jonathan> Some languages, such as Scheme, permit you to make a
    Jonathan> transcript of an interactive console session. Is there a way
    Jonathan> to do that in Python?

    If you decide not to use IPython for some reason, you should be able to
    easily whip something up based on the command history features of the
    readline module or one of the interpreter classes in the code module.

    Skip

    , Feb 25, 2007