ISO lightweight OO-RDBMS in Perl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by kj, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. kj

    kj Guest

    I have 4 or 5 personal coding projects in my to-do list, all of
    which feature simple relational databases (e.g. a catalog of TV
    show episodes on tape; a catalog of all my books; a catalog of all
    my CDs; a catalog of xeroxed/printed journal articles archive;
    etc.) Therefore, I'm looking CPAN modules to facilitate the process
    of creating, querying, updating, and maintaining *persistent* tables
    of Perl objects.

    The applications I have in mind have pretty light requirements.
    The tables may be relationally linked, so their management should
    preserve the integrity of the relational schema. But, they will
    interact with a single user at a time; security is not a big issue;
    nor is transaction management; performance demands are light, since
    no table would be bigger than a few hundred records.

    I have run across modules in CPAN (e.g. ObjStore or DB::Objects)
    that at first glance seem as though they *may* be suitable to this
    task, but I can't tell from the documentation exactly how adequate
    they are. Therefore, I would appreciate recommendations from
    *users* of modules like what I describe above.

    Note: I'm *not* interested in Perl interfaces to standard RDBMSs
    like MySQL or Oracle.

    Thanks!

    kj

    kj, Feb 1, 2004

  2. kj <> wrote in news:bvivl5$m5i$:

    > Note: I'm *not* interested in Perl interfaces to standard RDBMSs
    > like MySQL or Oracle.

    I am not sure if you'll appreciate this, but I will recommend SQLite
    coupled with Class::DBI. At the very least, read the docs for Class::DBI
    for examples of how to use that module to solve problems similar to yours.

    Sinan.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur

    A. Sinan Unur, Feb 1, 2004

  3. On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:40:53 +0000, kj wrote:

    > I have 4 or 5 personal coding projects in my to-do list, all of which
    > feature simple relational databases (e.g. a catalog of TV show episodes
    > on tape; a catalog of all my books; a catalog of all my CDs; a catalog
    > of xeroxed/printed journal articles archive; etc.) Therefore, I'm
    > looking CPAN modules to facilitate the process of creating, querying,
    > updating, and maintaining *persistent* tables of Perl objects.
    >
    > The applications I have in mind have pretty light requirements. The
    > tables may be relationally linked, so their management should preserve
    > the integrity of the relational schema. But, they will interact with a
    > single user at a time; security is not a big issue; nor is transaction
    > management; performance demands are light, since no table would be
    > bigger than a few hundred records.
    >
    > I have run across modules in CPAN (e.g. ObjStore or DB::Objects) that at
    > first glance seem as though they *may* be suitable to this task, but I
    > can't tell from the documentation exactly how adequate they are.
    > Therefore, I would appreciate recommendations from *users* of modules
    > like what I describe above.
    >
    > Note: I'm *not* interested in Perl interfaces to standard RDBMSs like
    > MySQL or Oracle.

    You may want to look over DBD::AnyData. It allows you to have in memory
    access to a variety of data sources (RDBMS or "flat file" or even XML).
    You could also use DBD::SQLite and DBD::Sprite. Or, if on a Windows box,
    you could use DBD::Excel.

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    "... After all, all he did was string together a lot of old,
    well-known quotations." -- H. L. Mencken, on Shakespeare

    James Willmore, Feb 2, 2004
  4. kj

    Bob Walton Guest

    kj wrote:

    > I have 4 or 5 personal coding projects in my to-do list, all of
    > which feature simple relational databases (e.g. a catalog of TV
    > show episodes on tape; a catalog of all my books; a catalog of all
    > my CDs; a catalog of xeroxed/printed journal articles archive;
    > etc.) Therefore, I'm looking CPAN modules to facilitate the process
    > of creating, querying, updating, and maintaining *persistent* tables
    > of Perl objects.
    >
    > The applications I have in mind have pretty light requirements.
    > The tables may be relationally linked, so their management should
    > preserve the integrity of the relational schema. But, they will
    > interact with a single user at a time; security is not a big issue;
    > nor is transaction management; performance demands are light, since
    > no table would be bigger than a few hundred records.

    Check out the DBI module with DBD::CSV. It gives you SQL on a
    collection of comma-separated-value files, in which each file is a table
    of a "database". Slow, but it works fine on small sets of data, and is
    ultra simple to set up and use. I'm not sure, but it may be part of the
    standard distribution these days. DBD::RAM is another possibility.

    --
    Bob Walton

    Bob Walton, Feb 4, 2004