It works without stdio.h !!

Richard Tobin

Or perhaps he just wants to know why it works. The fact that the
standard allows it to work does not explain why it does.
[/QUOTE]
Then, at the very least, he should be asking on a newsgroup
dedicated to his opsys, compiler, library, and the appropriate
versions of such. Not here.

This is ridiculous. It has historically worked on almost every
system, and a reasonable answer would explain why that is so. Your
approach replaces understanding with rote learning of the standard.

What's worse is that you undoubtedly know this stuff yourself, but
instead of passing it on you discourage people form learning it,
leaving them to wallow in the dreary culture of Microsoft-certified
programming.

-- Richard

Richard Tobin

Eric Sosman said:
On a more serious note, what's going on here is the clash of
two viewpoints: C is a potentially portable programming language,
or C is a high-level assembler.

Really? Which viewpoint do you think I take?

-- Richard

CBFalconer

Eric said:
It's odd, but somehow my news server seems to have lost your
dissertation on "this stuff" for the O.P.'s benefit. Too bad,
because you must have expended considerable effort on an article
covering "almost every system," and it's a shame to see that
effort wasted.

0.5 * ;-)

On a more serious note, what's going on here is the clash of
two viewpoints: C is a potentially portable programming language,
or C is a high-level assembler.

If you take the former view, CBF's advice is spot-on: Questions
of the kind the O.P. asks cannot be answered from the standpoint of
the language, but only with reference to specific implementations or
sets of implementations.

If you take the latter view, CBF's advice is *still* right: When
you need to know the protocol for passing arguments to functions and
getting values back, you need to get down and dirty with your chosen
platform and its tool chain.

Either way, CBF's suggestion is both correct and helpful -- which
makes it far from "ridiculous" in my book.

Thank you. I tend to ignore such ridiculous rejection of serious
comments, which may not be wise.